Foreign Policy Initiative
|Foreign Policy Initiative|
|Executive Director||Christopher J. Griffin|
|Location||Washington, D.C., USA|
The Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI) is an American think tank. According to its website, the FPI is committed to robust support for democratic allies, human rights, a strong American military equipped to meet the challenges of the 21st century, and strengthening America's global economic competitiveness. The organization was founded in 2009 and is led by Executive Christopher J. Griffin. FPI is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
FPI's Board of Directors consists of Editor of The Weekly Standard William Kristol, Brookings Institution Senior Fellow Robert Kagan, former Undersecretary of Defense for Policy Eric S. Edelman and Dan Senor.
Background and history
It describes itself as having formed in response to foreign policy challenges facing the U.S., such as "rising and resurgent powers, including China and Russia", "other autocracies that violate the rights of their citizens", "rogue states that work with each other in ways inimical to our interests and principles, and that sponsor terrorism and pursue weapons of mass destruction", "Al Qaeda and its affiliates who continue to plot attacks against the United States and our allies", and "failed states that serve as havens for terrorists and criminals and spread instability to their neighbors."
Chris Griffin, a former Legislative Director of Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman, was hired as Executive Director in early 2013. He replaced Jamie Fly, who served as Director for the organization's first four years and left to become an adviser for Florida Senator Marco Rubio.
Board of Directors
- Christopher J. Griffin, Executive Director
- Ellen Bork, Director of Democracy and Human Rights
- Patrick Christy, Senior Policy Analyst
- Stephanie Edelman, Executive Assistant
- James Kirchick, Fellow
- Kali McNutt, Director of External Affairs
- Evan Moore, Senior Policy Analyst
- Patrick O'Connor, Director of Operations
- Kristina Olney, Government Relations Associate
- Caitlin Poling, Director of Government Relations
- W. Ryan Richardson, External Affairs Associate
- Robert Zarate, Policy Director
The Foreign Policy Initiative publishes numerous bulletins, fact sheets, and analysis on a variety of foreign policy related issues.
- "2012 Foreign Policy Initiative Forum". Breaking Defense. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Mission Statement". Foreign Policy Initiative. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Rogin, Josh (January 22, 2013). "Lieberman staffer to head Foreign Policy Initiative". Foreign Policy.
- "Foreign Policy Initiative". Right Web. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Mission Statement". Foreign Policy Initiative. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- Dreazan, Yochi J. (September 17, 2009). "Call for an Afghan Surge". Wall Street Journal.
- "The neocons return". Brattleboro Reformer. September 26, 2009.
- "Foreign Policy Experts Urge President Obama to Respond to Assad's Chemical Attack". Foreign Policy Initiative. August 27, 2013.
- Warren, Michael (January 22, 2013). "Lieberman Aide Heading to Foreign Policy Initiative". The Weekly Standard.
- Past forums
- "Afghanistan: Planning for Success" (2009)
- "2009 FPI Forum: Advancing and Defending Democracy"
- "2010 FPI Forum: Restoring America's Leadership of a Democratic World”
- "2011 FPI Forum: Maintaining America's Global Responsibilities in an Age of Austerity”
- "2012 FPI Forum: The Price of Greatness: The Next Four Years of U.S. Foreign Policy"
- "2013 FPI Forum: Will America Lead?"