From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Foreign legion or Foreign Legion is a title which has been used by a small number of military units composed of foreign volunteers.
It can also refer to:
- Polish Legions, several Polish military units that served with the French Army from the 1790s to the 1810s.
- Portuguese Legion, a Portuguese military force integrated in the Napoleon's Imperial Armies, mobilized after the occupation of Portugal, in 1807.
- King's German Legion (KGL), a British Army unit of expatriate German personnel during the Napoleonic Wars
- Russian–German Legion, a Russian Army unit of expatriate German personnel during the Napoleonic Wars
- Foreign volunteers, a general term for troops joining a foreign army
- Mahal (Israel), foreigners serving in the Israeli army, both during the 1948 war of independence as well as in the present IDF
- Spanish Legion, a quasi-independent unit of the Spanish Army originally intended as an equivalent to the French Foreign Legion
- Brigade of Gurkhas, light infantry unit of the British Army largely manned by ethnic Nepali.
The title Foreign Legion has been applied commonly but unofficially to:
- Royal Dutch East Indies Army (KNIL), informally known as "Dutch Foreign Legion" (1830–1950)
- Rhodesian Light Infantry, informally known as "Rhodesian Foreign Legion" (1961–1980)
- International Legion, created in 1860 by Giuseppe Garibaldi
- International brigades, of the Spanish Civil War
- Recruited Foreigners Regiment, Värvat främlingsregemente, Swedish Regiment made up of Polish deserters during the Great Northern War
- Foreign Legion (band), a punk band from Wales
- Foreign Legion (album), a 2002 album by Murfreesboro
- Foreign Legion (Tin Hat album), a 2010 album by Tin Hat
- Foreign Legion (hip hop crew), a hip hop crew from Oakland, California
- Foreign Legion (wrestling) (La Legión Extranjera), a loosely affiliated group in Mexican wrestling
- Foreign Legions, a 2001 anthology edited by David Drake
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Foreign legion.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.