Forest Grove High School
|Forest Grove High School|
|1401 Nichols Lane
|School district||Forest Grove School District|
|Faculty||79.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Number of students||1979|
|Student to teacher ratio||21.7|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gold |
|Athletics conference||OSAA Greater Valley Conference 6A-5|
The school had the highest rate for drop outs in Washington County and test scores below the state average in the early 2000s. Forest Grove High then hired a new principal, John O'Neil, to address these issues in 2002. The principal introduced the mandatory Reading and Math Workshops for students below the state average to raise their performance. This and other changes helped to reduce the dropout rate and improve test scores at the school. For these improvements, in 2006 the school was presented the Closing the Achievement Gap award from the State of Oregon. The following year, the 2,000-student school became the first high school to win the award two years in a row. During this time graduation rates improved from around 66% to 85%. The school has been awarded the Bronze Medal by US News and World Report's rankings of America's Best High Schools.
- State championship in women's softball: 2007
In 1976, Birt Hansen started the Viking House Program. Each year the students build a single-family home in the community. They begin building in early September and finish construction with an open house in late May. The house is then put up for sale at market price, with the proceeds then used for furthering the program with purchases of new tools and the materials for the next house. This program is one of few focused on house construction in Portland-area schools, in addition to Canby High School and Benson Polytechnic High School. The program adopted "learn by doing" as their motto. Through 2011, the program had built 35 homes.
The school also operates a firefighting cadet program that began in 2001. The program allows juniors and seniors to learn firefighting techniques that are usually taught at the community college level to prepare students for careers in firefighting. Forest Grove’s fire department and the school partner in the program with the fire department providing instructors.
- Bobby Chouinard, baseball pitcher.
- Mitch Meeuwsen, football player.
- Zac Rosscup, baseball pitcher.
- Campillo, Linda (1990-02-01). "Forest Grove High School Program Impresses Governor". The Oregonian.
- Haynes, Dana (1993-12-16). "Forest Grove High School Studies Fewer But Longer Classes". The Oregonian.
- Staff (1990-02-22). "Australian Teaches at Forest Grove High". The Oregonian.
- "Oregon School Directory 2008-09" (PDF). Oregon Department of Education. p. 139. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Hammond, Betsy (September 10, 2009). "New principals for Portland-area high schools". OregonLive.com (The Oregonian). Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- Forest Grove High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 6, 2010.
- Owen, Wendy (May 20, 2010). "Forest Grove High School newspaper advisor reassigned after controversy". The Oregonian. Retrieved 21 May 2010.
- Tareen, Sophia. A model for change. The Oregonian, May 18, 2006.
- Beghtel, Doug. School achievement award. The Oregonian, September 28, 2006.
- Pardington, Suzanne. Forest Grove High School: School turnaround? 'Absolutely'. The Oregonian, May 8, 2007.
- US News and World Report, FGHS: Best High Schools. Accessed June 15, 2008.
- "State releases high school graduation rates". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- "Oregon dropout rates for 2008". The Oregonian. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Palmer, Zach. Lady Vikings win state championship. The Forest Grove News-Times, June 2, 2007. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- Trappen, Michelle. Forest Grove High School - Students build every square inch of house. The Oregonian, October 4, 2007
- Mandel, Michelle. Viking House not your average school project. The Oregonian, June 8, 2006
- Trappen, Michelle. Hands-on classes make a comeback. The Oregonian, October 11, 2007
- Owen, Betsy (2009-10-08). "High schoolers building houses in self-funded program". The Oregonian. Retrieved November 17, 2012.
- Navas, Melissa. Firefighter cadet class might be cut. The Oregonian, January 30, 2007
- Bobby Chouinard, The Baseball Cube. Accessed November 12, 2007.
- Humburg, JD (April 16, 2014). "Ex-Forest Grove left-hander Zac Rosscup back in the big leagues with the Chicago Cubs". The Oregonian. Retrieved 17 April 2014.