Forest Hill Community High School
|Forest Hill Community High School|
|Type||Public (magnet) secondary|
|Location||West Palm Beach, Florida, United States|
|District||Palm Beach County School District|
|Colors||Red, White, Black & Blue|
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Forest Hill Community High School (FHCHS) also known as Forest Hill or The Hill, is a coeducational public high school in West Palm Beach, Florida with an enrollment of more than 1800 students. The school is a part of the School District of Palm Beach County.
The school opened as Forest Hill High School in 1959; it is situated next to the West Palm Beach Country Club and I-95 in the southwestern corner of the City of West Palm Beach on a compact 20.3-acre (82,200 m2) tract. A larger building replaced the original structure on the same site in 2004. The school was first accredited in 1961. In the 1980s, the Palm Beach County School Board added the word Community to the names of all public high schools. Forest Hill is a public school for students in the local community, and for those coming from afar to the magnet programs held at the school.
The school's attendance boundaries encompass a culturally diverse area with a high percentage of non-native speakers of English. In order to expand the opportunities available to its student body, the school initiated many magnet programs: Information Technology, International Baccalaureate, Environmental Science, Engineering, Tourism and Hospitality and JROTC. In 2008, the Tourism and Hospitality magnet program introduced a marketing club, DECA, into its program; and in 2009, the club opened up the schools first alternative breakfast cafe called Falcon Cafe run by its members and officers.
The school also offers E.S.O.L (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and E.S.E ( Exceptional Student Education). The basic classes: English, Math, Social Studies, Science, Foreign Language, Art, Culinary, Physical Education, Culinary, and Woodwork.
- Football: Varsity & Junior Varsity Runner up 1986 & 1987
- Football Cheerleading: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Basketball Cheerleading: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Golf: Boys & Girls
- Swimming: Boys & Girls
- Boys Volleyball: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Girls Volleyball: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Bowling: Boys & Girls
- Tennis: Boys & Girls
- Baseball: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Cross Country: Boys & Girls
- Track: Boys & Girls
- Flag football
- Boys Soccer: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Girls Soccer: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Boys Basketball: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Girls Basketball: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Boys Wrestling: Varsity & Junior Varsity
- Girls Wrestling: Varsity & Junior Varsity
The school ended their 37-game football losing streak on October 23, 2009. The Varsity Falcons beat Spanish River 12-7. They had the longest losing streak in the state with 43 games from 1999-2003. The win was only fifth in the decade for Forest Hill. The game was won on Forest Hill's Senior night, the last home football game for the 2009-2010 season, except for the homecoming game which was held on November 6, 2009.
- Ottis Anderson, NFL player who earned MVP honors at the 1991 Super Bowl (Class of 1975)
- Eddie Gaillard, Major League Baseball player (Class of 1988)
- John R. Ellis, filmmaker and special effects artist (Class of 1973)
- Jeff Fischer, Former MLB player (Montreal Expos, Los Angeles Dodgers) (Class of 1981)
- Jim Hanna, NFL player (Class of 1989)
- Jarrod Jablonski is a pioneering technical diver and record setting cave diver. (Class of 1987)
- Ken Stone, NFL player (Class of 1968)
- Robby Thompson, Major League Baseball player (Class of 1980)
- Harry Winkler, University of Florida Basketball player '65-'67, 1972 & 1976 U.S. Olympic Handball player (Class of 1963)
- Stephanie Abrams, a meteorologist that joined at The Weather Channel in 2003
- Robert St. Clair, Florida Atlantic University Football Star, Bowl game winner, Nova Southeastern University Medical Student (Class of 2004)
- Mike Wood, Former MLB player (Oakland Athletics, Kansas City Royals, Texas Rangers) (Class of 1998)
- "Forest Hill Community High School". Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- Desmon, Stephanie (1999-05-09). "For a glimpse of the future, look at Forest Hill High School; Spanish spoken here (and plenty of other languages, too)". Palm Beach Post.
- "Search 2009 FCAT Results for Florida Schools". 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-29.
- Kernagis Dawn N, McKinlay Casey, Kincaid Todd R (2008). "Dive Logistics of the Turner to Wakulla Cave Traverse". In: Brueggeman P, Pollock NW, eds. Diving for Science 2008. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences 27th Symposium. Dauphin Island, AL: AAUS;. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- Forest Hill Community High School
- Rate My Teachers: Forest Hill Community High School
- Great Schools Reviews: Forest Hill Community High School
- Edline Page: Forest Hill Community High School
- FLDoE School Grade Report: Forest Hill Community High School
- USGS Supported Engineering Academy @ FHCHS
- IB Information: Forest Hill Community High School