Forest Park Carousel
Forest Park Carousel
Forest Park Carousel, July 2012
|Location:||Woodhaven Blvd. and Forest Park Drive, Woodhaven, New York|
|Area:||less than one acre|
|Governing body:||NYC Department of Parks|
|Added to NRHP:||July 16, 2004|
Forest Park Carousel is a historic carousel located in Forest Park in the Woodhaven section of the New York City borough of Queens. It was built in 1903 and moved to its present site in 1972 from Dracut, Massachusetts, after the previous carousel was destroyed by fire in 1966. The carousel contains 52 figures, including 36 jumpers, 13 standers, three menagerie figures, and two chariots. It also has its original band organ. It is one of two known surviving carousels built by the Muller brothers. The carousel is housed in a one story, octagonal, open wood frame pavilion designed in 1988 and therefore non-historic.
When the most recent vendor, New York One LLC, allowed the contract to expire in 2009 the Carousel closed. Efforts and petitions have been made to re-open the carousel since its closing, along with acquiring city landmark status. The New York City Parks Department has been seeking a new vendor, and is also submitting an application for and Environmental Protection Fund grant to help restore the horses. It reopened on May 26, 2012 under the management of NY Carousel.
The operation of the carousel was awarded to NY Carousel under a long-term contract. The company embarked on a plan to bring back the carousel to its former glory, which began with removal of the "prison gates" around the building's perimeter, new paint, and re-opening of the concession stand. The response from the community has been overwhelming. The historic carousel has had a lot of riders since it re-opened. In addition, the Woodhaven Residents’ Block Association named NY Carousel their "Business of the Year" for 2012. NY Carousel has said that they plan on bringing additional rides and attractions to the Forest Park Carousel over the long-term.
- NYC Parks Department link to the carousel
- Fan Site of the Carousel
- Save The Forest Park Carousel
- Forest Park Carousel.com
- The Homepage of the Company that Runs the Carousel, NY Carousel
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Kathleen LaFrank (January 2004). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Forest Park Carousel". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2011-01-16. See also: "Accompanying 35 photos".
- "City Audit Finds Carousel Operator Duped Customers, Violated Health Code Laws". NY1.com. April 16, 2011.
- "Devotees Seek To Reopen Queens Carousel". NY1.com. July 17, 2010.
- Business at the Carousel Booming, The Forum August 16, 2012.