Forestry Farm Park and Zoo
|Forestry Farm Park and Zoo|
|Location||1903 Forestry Farm Park Drive
Saskatoon, SK, CA S7S 1G9
City of Saskatoon, Saskatoon Zoo Society andSaskatchewan Perennial Society
|Official name: Forestry Farm Park and Zoo National Historic Site of Canada|
The Forestry Farm Park and Zoo is a forested park and zoo located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. The park was originally established as the Dominion Forest Nursery Station  and later Sutherland Forest Nursery Station. Between 1913-1966 was responsible for growing and shipping 147 million trees shipped across the northern prairie provinces. The first shipment of trees were sent to farmers in 1916. The park is designated a National Historic Site of Canada. The nursery grew caragana, ash, maple, elm, and willow. After the nursery closed in 1966 a portion was re-opened as a city park.
The park contains the following areas:
- Forestry Farm House (The Superintendent's Residence) - is a historical farm house of a Georgian brink design built in 1913 located within the park. The building was officially designated a heritage property on July 3, 1990.
- Hall - With a capacity of 225 people
- Gazebo Picnic Site - With seating for up to 100 people
- Fishing Pond - A Pond stocked with Steelhead Trout (daily permit required)
- Kinsmen Express Zoo Train - Guided tour through the zoo area 
- Paws Inn Concession and Gift Shop - A Concession Stand and Gift Shop operated by the Zoo Society 
- Meditation Garden - Cared for by the Perennial Society 
- Heritage Rose Garden - Cared for by the Perennial Society 
- Zoo - The zoo facilities
- Demonstration Forest - Original demonstration forest once part of the nursery.
The Zoo is housed within the park. In 1964 the Golden Gate Animal Farm ran into financial difficulties, the city agreed to acquire the animals and equipment; the zoo was then relocated to the park. The Zoo is accredited by the Canadian Association of Zoos and Aquariums and contains over 80 species of animals.
The Saskatoon Regional Zoological Society was formed in 1976 to aid in the education program at the zoo and advance the care of the animals. The society later changed its name to the Saskatoon Zoo Society.
- "Saskatoon Zoo Society". A brief history... Archived from the original on 2008-04-24. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
- Layout 1 (Page 1)
- Forestry Farm Park and Zoo National Historic Site of Canada. Canadian Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- City of Saskatoon · Departments · Community Services · Leisure Services
- Kinsmen Express Zoo Train
- Saskatoon Zoo Society
- Meditation Garden2
- Heritage Rose Garden
- Saskatoon Zoo Society
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Forestry Farm Park and Zoo|