Forever Young (Bob Dylan song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Song by Bob Dylan from the album Planet Waves|
|Released||January 17, 1974|
|Planet Waves track listing|
German single cover
|Single by Bob Dylan|
|from the album Bob Dylan at Budokan|
|B-side||"All Along the Watchtower" & "I Want You"|
|Released||June 22, 1979|
A demo version of the song, recorded in New York City in June 1973, was included on Dylan's 1985 compilation Biograph. In the notes included with that album, Dylan is quoted as saying that he wrote "Forever Young" in Tucson, Arizona, "thinking about" one of his sons and "not wanting to be too sentimental."
A live version of the song, recorded in Tokyo on 28 February 1978 and included on Dylan's album Bob Dylan at Budokan, was released as a European single in 1979.
In notes on "Forever Young" written for the 2007 album Dylan, Bill Flanagan writes that Dylan and The Band "got together and quickly knocked off an album, Planet Waves, that featured two versions of a blessing from a parent to a child. In the years he was away from stage Dylan had become a father. He had that in common with a good chunk of the audience. The song reflected it. Memorably recited on American TV by Howard Cosell when Muhammad Ali won the heavyweight crown for the third time."
Rod Stewart recorded a song entitled "Forever Young" that was released as a single and included on his Out of Order album in 1988. The song was remarkably similar to the Bob Dylan song of the same title, sharing not only a similar melody but many of the same lyrics. Stewart agreed to share his royalties with Dylan.
In 2009 a remix of the song, "Forever Young (Continued)" was featured in a Pepsi commercial, with rapper will.i.am rapping a verse. The advertisement ends with the slogan: "Every generation refreshes the world."
Peter, Paul, and Mary covered the song in their 1978 album Reunion.
Patti LaBelle performed the song at the Philadelphia segment of the 1985 Live Aid concert. Along with her performance of John Lennon's Imagine, these are the only two songs of her six-song set to appear on the official DVD.
The song was featured in the end credits to the movie Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home (1995).
British soul singer Jodie Marie recorded a version in 2011.
In popular culture
The 2010 television series Parenthood uses the second version of this song, "Forever Young (Continued)" as its theme song.
- Goldstein, Patrick (26 June 1988). "Rod Stewart Sounds an Echo of Dylan". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Forever Young" Pepsi commercial on YouTube
- WTF: Bob Dylan and Will.I.Am: "Forever Young" (Pepsi ad) - Pitchfork.
- Wingfield, Nick (October 19, 2011). "Coldplay and Norah Jones Play at Memorial for Jobs". The New York Times. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Mr. Tambourine Man: Seven Poems of Bob Dylan at schirmer.com
- “Kohl's Adds Emotional Brand Spots to Holiday Mix” by Natalie Zmuda, November 7, 2013, Ad Age, http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/kohl-s-adjusts-holiday-marketing-mix/245177/
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- Norah Jones playing Forever Young -- a great moment of the Steve Jobs Memorial event at Apple.