|Developer(s)||Fork Particle, Inc.|
|Operating system||Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Mac, Linux|
|Website||Fork Particle Official Website|
Fork Particle is a computer graphics visual effects modeling and software development kit (SDK) developed and sold by Fork Particle, Inc. Fork Particle uses its real time Particle Systems technology to simulate visual effects or particle effects such as CGI explosions, fire, rain, smoke, dust, etc. Fork Particle is used in video games and visual simulation software such as a flight simulator. It has been licensed to game developers for PC, Apple Mac, Linux, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.
Notable Fork Particle licensees include Trickstar Games, Firaxis Games, THQ, Electronic Arts, Microsoft, LEGO, and Sony. Video games that have utilized Fork Particle’s technology include Empire Earth III, LEGO Universe, Splosion Man, and Sid Meier's Civilization V.
Fork Particle SDK
Fork Particle's real time technology component or particle engine is meant to be integrated and used with a video game engine or computer graphics engine. Particle effects are authored by VFX artists or designers using Fork Particle’s effects modeling tool and then brought into the user’s 3D computer graphics environment or 2D computer graphics environment where these particle effects are simulated by Fork Particle’s engine in real time and displayed by the user application’s graphics engine.
The Fork Particle SDK includes these components: real time particle engine (Fork Runtime SDK), particle editor or modeling tool (Fork Particle Studio), live update for in application particle effects editing (Fork Live Tuner), and particle effects definitions batch file exporter.
Fork Particle also includes incorporation or integrations with partner technologies:
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Sony PlayStation 3
- Havok Physics,
- Havok Vision Engine
- Emergent Gamebryo LightSpeed
- Perforce SCM
- Autodesk FBX
- NVidia PhysX
- Intel (Multi-core processor support)
- Fork Particle Official Website – news, updates, screenshots, and information about Fork Particle
- Develop Online feature article on Fork Particle – “Particle effects middleware Fork Particle is all about making the most of your game’s big events…”
- Develop Magazine feature article on Fork Particle – “TOOLS SPOTLIGHT” (page 50-51)
- Firaxis Civilization V news article – “Firaxis Using Fork Particle Toolset For Civ V's Visual Effects” by Eric Caoili
|This graphics software–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|