|Ferrari World Abu Dhabi|
|Opening date||4 November 2010|
|Type||Steel – Launched|
|Lift/launch system||Hydraulic Launch Track|
|Height||52 m (171 ft)|
|Drop||51.5 m (169 ft)|
|Length||2,070 m (6,790 ft)|
|Speed||239 km/h (149 mph)|
|Acceleration||0 to 240 km/h (0 to 149 mph) in 4.8 seconds|
|Height restriction||130 cm (4 ft 3 in)|
|Trains||4 trains with 4 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 16 riders per train.|
|Formula Rossa at RCDB
Pictures of Formula Rossa at RCDB
Formula Rossa is a launched roller coaster located at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Manufactured by Intamin, Formula Rossa is the world's fastest roller coaster with a top speed of 240 km/h (150 mph). The coaster train accelerates to its top speed in approximately 5 seconds using a hydraulic launch system which generates a release velocity similar to that of aircraft carrier steam catapults. The initial acceleration from standstill reaches 100km/h in 2 seconds, beating the best commercially available supercar (as of 2014), while allowing riders to experience 1.7G of force.  The roller coaster track is 2.2 km (1.4 mi) in length, ranking it 6th in the world, behind Steel Dragon 2000, The Ultimate, The Beast, Fujiyama, and Millennium Force. Its shape was inspired by the legendary Italian racetrack Autodromo Nazionale Monza. Due to the high air speeds and thus risk of an impact with airborne particulates or insects, all riders are required to wear protective glasses similar to those used during skydiving. Formula Rossa surpassed Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure as the world's fastest roller coaster with Kingda Ka retaining the record of the tallest roller coaster in the world.
In its planning stage it was called F1 Coaster.
Immediately following the launch, the train ascends a 52 m (171 ft) hill and eventually completes the course reaching a maximum speed of 239 kilometres per hour (149 mph).
- "Formula Rossa - World's Fastest roller coaster". Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. Retrieved 4 November 2010.
- Marden, Duane. "Record Holders - Speed". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Ferrari (6 May 2010). "Formula Rossa". Ferrari. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- BBC (27 October 2010). "World's fastest rollercoaster: Could you stomach it?". BBC. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Marden, Duane. "Formula Rossa (Ferrari World Abu Dhabi)". Roller Coaster Database. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- "Formula Rossa > news > Home > Amusement". Intamin Worldwide. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- Borel, Brooke (2011-03-31). "How It Works: The World's Fastest Rollercoaster". popsci.com. Retrieved 2011-04-03.
- Ferrari World. "Formula Rossa - Making of". Video. Ferrari. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Ferrari World. "The making of Formula Rossa". Ferrari World. Retrieved 6 July 2010.
- Marden, Duane. "Record Holders (Tallest Roller Coasters)". Roller Coaster DataBase. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Formula Rossa.|
|World's Fastest Roller Coaster
November 2010 - Present