Forry's Mill Covered Bridge
|Forry's Mill Covered Bridge|
|Locale||Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Official name||Big Chiques #7 Bridge|
|Design||single span, double Burr arch truss|
|Total length||103 feet (31.4 m)|
|Constructed by||Elias McMellen|
The Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge that spans Chiques Creek in West Hempfield in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. A county-owned and maintained bridge, its official designation is the Big Chiques #7 Bridge. (Chiques Creek was known as Chickies Creek until 2002).
The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design with the addition of steel hanger rods. The deck is made from oak planks. It is painted red, the traditional color of Lancaster County covered bridges, on both the inside and outside. Both approaches to the bridge are painted in the traditional white color.
Forry's Mill Covered Bridge is located in West Hempfield Township on Bridge Valley Road 0.4 km (0.25 mi) north of Pennsylvania route 23 5.5 km (3.4 mi) east of Marietta, less than a mile away from the former site of the Siegrist's Mill Covered Bridge.
- Length: 91 feet 6 inches (27.9 m) span and 103 feet (31.4 m) total length
- Width: 12 feet 10 inches (3.9 m) clear deck and 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 11 feet 6 inches (3.5 m)
- Underclearance: 12 feet (3.7 m)
Inside of the bridge showing the Burr arch truss design
- Bickel, Hank (2005-06-23). "Forry Mill Bridge". Covered Bridges of the Northeast USA. Retrieved 2006-08-04.
- "Forry's Mill Covered Bridge". Lancaster County, PA Government Portal. County of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. 2001-10-30. Retrieved 2006-07-07.
- Geographic Names Information System, United States Geological Survey (August 30, 1990). "Geographic Names Information System Feature Detail Report: Chiques Creek". Retrieved 2006-09-05.
- Dr. Roger A. McCain. "Forry's Mill Bridge". A Guide to Old Covered Bridges of Southeastern Pennsylvania and nearby areas. Retrieved 2006-08-03.
- "PENNSYLVANIA - Lancaster County". National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved 2007-03-20.
- Travis, Dale. "38-36-28". Round Barns & Covered Bridges. Retrieved 2006-08-08.
- "Forry's Mill Covered Bridge". Lancaster County Pennsylvania Dutch Country Official Visitors Center. Pennsylvania Dutch Convention & Visitors Bureau. 2006. Retrieved 2006-07-07.