Fort Dodge, Kansas
|Fort Dodge, Kansas|
|Elevation||2,464 ft (751 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||473892|
Fort Dodge is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Ford County, Kansas, United States. Fort Dodge is located on U.S. Route 400 5 miles (8.0 km) southeast of Dodge City. Fort Dodge has a post office with ZIP code 67843.
From 1865 to 1882, Fort Dodge was an outpost on the Santa Fe Trail. The episode "County Seat War" (April 8, 1958) of the western television series The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, starring Hugh O'Brian as Wyatt Earp, focuses on an underhanded attempt by Ford Dodge to become the county seat of Ford County after it is announced that the U.S. Army is withdrawing from the fort. The actress Carolyn Craig appears in this episode as a young woman in contact with Earp about the election called to determine which location will be the county seat.
- James H. "Dog" Kelley, mayor of Dodge City from 1877 to 1881; lived in Fort Dodge in his later years.
- Morris S. Tremaine, businessman and politician. He was New York State Comptroller from 1927 to 1941.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ZIP Code Lookup
- "Fort Dodge, Kansas". Santa Fe Trail Research. Retrieved 2011-08-06.
- ""County Seat War", The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, April 8, 1958". Internet Movie Data Base. Retrieved May 11, 2014.
- Pioneers of Ford County - Page 2; legendsofkansas.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fort Dodge, Kansas.|
- Ford County Map, KDOT
- Fred Voelker - Fiddling With The Seasons Of Life on YouTube, from Hatteberg's People on KAKE TV news
|This article about a location in Ford County, Kansas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|