Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians
|86 reservation population (2011)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, traditionally Owens Valley Paiute language|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Owens Valley Paiute
and Shoshone peoples
The Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians is headquartered in Independence, California. The tribe is governed by a democratically elected tribal council. The current tribal administration is as follows.
- Chairman: Israel Naylor
- Vice Chairman: Charles Pradt
- Tribal Administrator (interim): Israel Naylor
- Administrative Assistance: Stephanie Arman
- Office Assistant: Esther Hampton.
Enrollment into the tribe is based on the original allotees at the time, 1999, when the tribe's Article of Association where adopted and all living descendents of the original allottees who have a minimum of 1/16 Indian blood quantum, who are not enrolled in other tribes.
The Fort Independence Reservation (Indian reservation with an total area of 356 acres in Inyo County. It was established in 1915. In 1990, the reservation was 234 acres larges with a population of 38 Indians.) in Independence, is a federally recognized
- "Population." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Fort Independence Reservation." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. 2011. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Pritzker 155
- "Tribal Government." Fort Independence Indian Resrvation. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- "Enrollement requirements of the Fort Independence Indian Community of Paiute Indians." Native American Indian Tribes of the US. Retrieved 2 July 2012.
- Pritzker 241
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1
- Fort Independence Indian Reservation, official website
- Fort Independence Articles of Association, National Indian Law Library
- "Fort Independence Reservation Reduces Waste by 26% through Recycling," US Environmental Protection Agency