Fort McMurray International Airport
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)|
|Fort McMurray International Airport|
|IATA: YMM – ICAO: CYMM
– WMO: 71932
|Owner/Operator||Fort McMurray Airport Authority|
|Serves||Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, Alberta|
|Location||Fort McMurray, Alberta|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−07:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−06:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||1,211 ft / 369 m|
Fort McMurray International Airport (IATA: YMM, ICAO: CYMM) is located 7 nautical miles (13 km; 8.1 mi) southeast of Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. Fort McMurray Airport Authority is a community-based not-for-profit organization that owns and operates the Fort McMurray Airport since 2010. The airport has seen a rise in business over the last 10 years due to an economic boom in the Athabasca oil sands. In 2013, the airport served 1,195,378 passengers, ranking among the busiest airports in Canada.
The new international terminal building opened on June 9, 2014. It is located south of the current runway and will provide capacity for over 1.5 million passengers annually.
New Fort McMurray International Airport
As the old terminal building could only accommodate 250,000 passengers per year, the ever exceeding growth in passenger demand had pushed for the construction of a new building.
Construction on the new award-winning aurora borealis themed terminal started in August 2011 and the $258 million terminal was opened on June 9th, 2014, with the ability to accommodate 1.5 million passengers per year.
The new terminal building is approximately 15,000 m2 (160,000 sq ft) and totals an area the size of 2.5 Canadian football fields, 5 times bigger than the old North terminal. This increase in capacity is not only vital to the growth of the airport and airport partners, but to the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo as well. The new international terminal building also helps solidify the airport's position as an important economic generator for the region as reflected by the over $412 million in economic activity generated in 2013. Fort McMurray Airport forms part of the gateway to the region and has been a key to the transformation of Fort McMurray from a small town to a dynamic city.
The old terminal is now used for charter flights.
- Helps to meet the air transportation needs of the Athabasca oil sands industry
- Development of commercial and light industrial lands on-airport
- Ability to accommodate over 1.5 million passengers annually
- 16 retail and food and beverage outlets along with other amenities
- 2 baggage carousels
- Shuttle bus service
- Customer service and visitor information booth
- Interactive observation area
- Larger, more up-to-date security screening area
- Over 2,200 powered parking stalls
- First airport in North America to contain seating with power outlets and USB charging connectors throughout terminal
- Four airbridges and eight aircraft parking stands
- Children's play area
- Naturally heated courtyard
- Barrier free access
- Public art installations from across western Canada
- Will feature a connected 4-star hotel (Opening 2016)
The new Fort McMurray International Airport features 16 food and beverage and retail outlets including some of the first ever in-airport locations for Earl's, Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria. The 16 concessions include:
- Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria
- Nicholby's Convenience and Duty Free
- Tim Hortons (not yet operational)
- Chocolates & Candlelight
- Burger King
- Mary Brown's Famous Chicken and Taters
- Nicholby's Convenience and Duty Free
- Jugo Juice
- Best Buy Express
- Earl's Kitchen + Bar with Grab & Go
Airlines and destinations
Scheduled airlines and destinations
Bus service operates between the airport and downtown Fort McMurray via the Route 11 Airport Shuttle bus. This service operates seven days a week and has stops located at eight major hotels throughout the downtown core and at Keyano College. The service is part of the Wood Buffalo Transit System.
There are two fixed-base operators that service aircraft:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fort McMurray International Airport.|
- Fort McMurray International Airport
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Fort McMurray International Airport from Nav Canada as available.
- Page about this airport on COPA's Places to Fly airport directory