Kasese Road in Fort Portal
|• Mayor||Asaba Ruyonga|
|Elevation||4,860 ft (1,480 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
Fort Portal is located approximately 320 kilometres (200 mi) by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city, on an all-tarmac two-lane highway. The coordinates of the town are: 0° 39' 36" North, 30° 16' 30" East (Latitude:0.6600; Longitude:30.2750).
Fort Portal is named for Sir Gerald Portal, a British Special Commissioner for Uganda, whose statue graces the main road of the town. Situated between the Rwenzori Mountains, Kibale National Park and Queen Elizabeth National Park, it is an important market town. Several crater lakes and the Semliki Valley also lie near the town.
According to the 2002 national census, the population of Fort Portal was about 41,000. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 46,300. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Fort Portal at about at 47,100.
Points of interest
The following points of interest can be found in the town:
- The headquarters of Kabarole District Administration
- The offices of Fort Portal Town Council
- Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital - A 300 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Kabarole Missionary Hospital - A 60 bed community hospital, administered by the Church of Uganda
- The palace of the Omukama of Toro
- A branch of Bank of Africa
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of Crane Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Kenya Commercial Bank
- A branch of Housing Finance Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of United Bank for Africa
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited
- The main campus of the Mountains of the Moon University, a private university; one of thirty one (31) universities in Uganda.
- The campus of Uganda Pentecostal University, a private university affiliated with the Pentecostal Movement
- The Western Campus of Makerere University
- Fort Portal Currency Center - A currency storage and processing facility, owned and operated by the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's Central Bank.
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- St. Mary's Seminary Virika
- "Distance Between Kampala And Fort Portal With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Estimated Population of Fort Portal In 2002, 2010 & 2011". Uganda Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Partial Listing of Branches of Bank of Africa Uganda". Banks-Uganda.com. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Profile of or Portal Town". Guide2Uganda.com. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "List of Bank of Uganda Currency Centers". Bank of Uganda. Retrieved 21 April 2014.