Fortune India 500
|Managing Editor||Dibyendra Nath Mukerjea|
|Publisher||Time, Inc., a Time Warner company.|
The Fortune India 500 is a ranking of the top 500 corporations in India compiled on the basis of latest sales and gross revenue figures. The list is published annually by Fortune magazine. Fortune India is Fortune's sixth international edition following local editions for China, Turkey, Korea, Indonesia as well as a special edition for Greece.
Fortune India is published monthly in English, through a license agreement between Time Inc., the publisher of Fortune (US) and Kolkata-based ABP Group, one of India’s largest media companies. The first issue of Fortune India was published in September 2010 with Dibyendra Nath Mukerjea as the Editor and Pavan Varshnei as the President. In October 2011, the publication celebrated its first anniversary with a double issue.
The Fortune India 500 list ranks publicly traded companies by their annual audited total income for the financial year ending on or before June 30. The list has been published in its current form since 2010, and also includes financial corporations and service providers, leading by revenue.
Indian Oil Corporation topped the inaugural Fortune India 500 rankings, and Reliance Industries was listed second. The next three places were taken by State Bank of India, Bharat Petroleum and Hindustan Petroleum respectively.
Indian Oil Corporation, Reliance Industries and Bharat Petroleum Corporation dominate the list in the second year. Zee Entertainment Enterprises (#1 media, #256 overall), Sun TV Network (#2, #347), HT Media (#3, #383), Network 18 (#4, #413) and Dish TV (#5, #437) are in the list of media companies in the Fortune India 500 roster of India’s largest corporations. Tata Consultancy Services (#1 IT, #20 overall), Wipro(#2, #25),Infosys(#3, #27), HCL Technologies Limited(#4, #49), Satyam Computer Services(#5, #153)and Tech Mahindra(#6, #161) are the top IT companies in the list.
2011 breakdown by city
This is a ranking of the top eight cities, with the most global 500 companies.
|Rank||Cities||Biggest companies of India|
In the 2012 list, State-run Indian Oil Corporation is the biggest company by revenue, followed by Reliance Industries. Others in the top 10 are: Tata Motors (sixth), ONGC (seventh), Tata Steel (eighth), Coal India (ninth) and Hindalco Industries (10th). According to the list, the total sales of the 500 companies increased by 23.77 per cent year-on-year. There are 83 state-owned companies listed and 55 new companies, which, for the first time, made it to the top 500.
- "The top 20 companies in India - Rediff.com Business". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Fortune 6th international edition". Fortune. Retrieved December 9, 2010.
- "Fortune launches Indian edition". Medianewsline.com. 2010-09-27. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "â€˜Fortune Indiaâ€™ launches today; Bates 141 roped in as creative agency". Exchange4media.com. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "MIB nod to Indian edition of â€˜Fortuneâ€™ magazine". Exchnge4media.com. 2010-02-16. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Fortune India makes its debut".http://www.campaignindia.in/Article/233439,fortune-india-makes-its-debut.aspx
- Business Standard (2010-09-24). "Fortune India hits the stands, finally". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- http://www.afaqs.com/news/story/31975_Fortune-India-celebrates-first-anniversary-with-double-issue"Fortune India celebrates first anniversary with double issue". http://www.afaqs.com. afaqs!. October 21, 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "India's 30 biggest companies - Rediff.com Business". Rediff.com. 2011-12-22. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Fortune India 500". Fortune. Retrieved December 9, 2010.
- "Fortune India 500 second year list". Fortune. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- Media Tv Print Media Radio Ooh Mediaah!. "Dish TV makes it to Fortune India 500, 4 biggies exit list". MxM India. Retrieved 2012-01-23.
- "Fortune India 500 complete list". Fortune Indis. Retrieved December 18, 2011.
- "India 500 2011: City". Fortune India. Retrieved December 14, 2011. Number of companies data taken from the "Pick a city" box.