Forward Operating Base Delhi
Memorial at FOB Delhi, Afghanistan
|Type||Forward Operating Base|
|Controlled by||United States Marine Corps|
The base was originally established by members of the Ministry of Defense and used by British units until 2008 when the base was taken over by the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit and was transferred to the British Army regiment, The Light Dragoons of Task Force Helmand, on September 8, 2008.
In June 2009, it was transferred to the U.S. Marines of Task Force Leatherneck.
It has been used by:
- OP H IV - 16 Air Assault Brigade (May 2006 - November 2006):
- Multiple One (India Company), 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines' Command Support Group.
- OP H V - 3 Commando Brigade (November 2006 - April 2007):
- OP H VI - 12th Mechanized Brigade (April 2007 - October 2007):
- OP H VII - 52nd Infantry Brigade (October 2007 - April 2008):
- April 2008 - September 2008:
- 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.
- OP H IX - 3 Commando Brigade (September 2008 - April 2009):
- B Company, 2nd Battalion, The Princess of Wales Royal Regiment.
- OP H X - 19th Light Brigade (April 2009 - June 2009):
Forward Operating Base Delhi Massacre
On August 10, 2012 an Afghan teenager entered an on-base gym and fired an AK-47 killing 3 US Marines and injuring another. The incident is being investigated by the NCIS and the US Attorney's Office in New York.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to FOB Delhi.|
- History of the United States Marine Corps
- List of United States Marine Corps installations
- List of ISAF installations in Afghanistan
- The Independent. "As the war against the Taliban continues to rage, what is life in Afghanistan really like?", The Independent website, July 27, 2007. Retrieved on May 24, 2010.
- Guerra, Alex C. "24th MEU returns a safer, more stable Garmsir to British Army", Marine.mil website, September 11, 2008. Retrieved on May 24, 2010.
- "Marines in daily fight with Taliban to restore once thriving town". MoD. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
|This United States Marine Corps article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|