Forward in Faith North America
Forward in Faith North America (FIF-NA) is a traditionalist Anglican organization founded in 1976 in reaction to the Episcopal Church in the United States of America's decisions in General Convention to authorize the ordination of women to the priesthood. Intended to provide a network for opponents of women's ordination, it was originally called the Evangelical and Catholic Mission. In 1989, at the time of the consecration of Barbara Harris as first woman bishop in the Episcopal Church in the U.S., it changed its name to the Episcopal Synod of America.
In 1999, ESA voted to join with Forward in Faith, an organization in the United Kingdom which "represents a traditionalist strand of Anglo-Catholicism and which is characterised by its opposition to the ordination of women to the priesthood and episcopate and, more recently, to more liberal Anglican views of homosexuality and support for abortion rights, changing its name to Forward in Faith North America.
Forward in Faith North America would be a founding partner of the Anglican Church in North America in June 2009. It publishes a bimonthly magazine called Forward in Christ.
Leaders of the organization have included:
- Stanley Atkins
- A. Donald Davies (Dallas)
- William H. Folwell (Central Florida)
- Charles Thomas Gaskell (Milwaukee)
- Albert W. Hillestad (Springfield)
- Addison Hosea (Lexington)
- Victor Manuel Rivera (San Joaquin)
- Robert Elwin Terwilliger (Dallas)
- Keith Ackerman (Quincy)
- A. Donald Davies (Fort Worth)
- Jack Leo Iker (Fort Worth)
- Edward H. McBurney (Quincy)
- Donald James Parsons (Quincy)
- Clarence Cullam Pope (Fort Worth) first president
- John-David Schofield (San Joaquin)
- William L. Stevens (Fond du Lac)
- William C. Wantland (Eau Claire)
David Standish Ball of the Episcopal Diocese of Albany participated in the opening meeting of the Episcopal Synod of America, but subsequently changed his position on the ordination of women to the priesthood and episcopate.
- Official website
- FIF International website
- Forward in Faith magazine website
- History of Resistance to the Ordination of Women in the Episcopal Church
- New "Entity," Evangelical and Catholic Mission, Formed February 15, 1977 press release
- ECM Meets in Fort Worth; Unveils Episcopal Synod of America June 8, 1989 press release
- An Open Letter from the Episcopal Synod of America to all faithful people in the Anglican Tradition (1997)