Foston on the Wolds
|Foston on the Wolds|
Foston on the Wolds shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||263 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|- London||170 mi (270 km) S|
|Civil parish||Foston on the Wolds|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||East Yorkshire|
Foston on the Wolds is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 8 miles (13 km) south-west of Bridlington town centre and 2 miles (3 km) north of the village of North Frodingham.
The civil parish is formed by the villages of Foston on the Wolds and Brigham and the hamlet of Gembling. According to the 2011 UK census, Foston on the Wolds parish had a population of 263, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 253.
In 1823 Foston inhabitants numbered 300. Occupations included ten farmers, two wheelwrights, two blacksmiths, two grocers who were also drapers, a coal dealer, a corn miller who was also a coal dealer, a boot & shoemaker, a butcher, a tailor, a tanner, and the landlady of the Cross Keys public house. Carriers operated between the village and Hull on Mondays and Thursdays, Driffield and Gembling on Thursdays, and Bridlington on Saturdays. In the village was a Methodist and a Calvinist chapel. The church at the time was dedicated to All Saints.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Foston CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2013.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Foston CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 16 May 2008.
- English Heritage. "Church of St Andrew (1346653)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- Baines, Edward; History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York (1823), p.207. ISBN 1230139141
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 5.
Media related to Foston on the Wolds at Wikimedia Commons
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|