|Directed by||Bennett Miller|
|Music by||Rob Simonsen
West Dylan Thordson
|Edited by||Stuart Levy
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
|Running time||130 minutes|
Foxcatcher is a 2014 American biographical drama film, directed by Bennett Miller, starring Steve Carell, Channing Tatum, and Mark Ruffalo. The screenplay was written by E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman. It competed for the Palme d'Or in the main competition section at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, where Miller won the Best Director Award.
- Steve Carell as John Eleuthère du Pont
- Channing Tatum as Mark Schultz; Tatum stated that the role was "the hardest acting challenge I've had to date".
- Mark Ruffalo as Dave Schultz, du Pont's longtime friend and an Olympic gold medal-winning wrestler.
- Vanessa Redgrave as Jean Liseter Austin du Pont, John's mother
- Sienna Miller as Nancy Schultz, Dave's wife
- Anthony Michael Hall as du Pont's assistant
- Guy Boyd as Henry Beck
- Brett Rice as Fred Cole
- Samara Lee as Danielle Schultz
- Jackson Frazer as Alexander Schultz
- Jane Mowder as Rosie
- Daniel Hilt as Robert Garcia
- Lee Perkins as Corporal Daly
- Tara Subkoff
Director Bennett Miller began developing the project in 2006. Megan Ellison is co-financing the film with Sony Pictures Classics, and producing alongside Miller and Anthony Bregman for her company, Annapurna Pictures. Sony Pictures Classics will distribute the film
Shooting began in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area on October 15, 2012, near Sewickley, Pennsylvania, including Sewickley Heights and Edgeworth. An 1899 Sewickley Heights mansion, Wilpen Hall, served as the location for du Pont's Philadelphia estate, named Foxcatcher Farm. Filming also took place in Rector in Ligonier Township, McKeesport, White Oak, and Connoquenessing. The production sought permission to shoot in West Mifflin Middle School in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania. In December 2012, shooting took place in Washington, Pennsylvania, Trinity High School, the Petersen Events Center in Oakland, and the California University of Pennsylvania Convocation Center. Filming was scheduled to last through January 2013. Exterior scenes were also filmed at Morven Park, an estate in Leesburg, Virginia.
A release date for Foxcatcher was set for December 20, 2013, but was later moved to November 14, 2014. The film debuted in competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival in May 2014. It also featured in the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival.
The film has received acclaim from critics, with many praising the performances of Steve Carell, Channing Tatum, and Mark Ruffalo. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 'Certified Fresh' rating of 91%, based on 44 reviews, with an average rating of 8.5/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "A chilling true crime drama, Foxcatcher offers Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo and Channing Tatum a chance to shine - and all three rise to the challenge". Metacritic gives the film a score of 91 out of 100, based on 11 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Justin Chang of Variety praised the film, writing: "Steve Carell, Mark Ruffalo and Channing Tatum give superb performances in Bennett Miller's powerfully disturbing true-crime saga." Eric Kohn of Indiewire also reacted positively to the film, with most of his praise going towards Carell and Tatum's performances. Donald Clarke of The Irish Times praised Bennett Miller's direction, saying that "he [Miller] hits his stride with a stunning portrayal of psychopathy and moral decadence in the unlikely environment of Olympic wrestling." Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter praised Carell's performance calling it "career changing".
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|2014 Cannes Film Festival||Best Director||Bennett Miller||Won|
|Palme d'Or||Bennett Miller||Nominated|
- "Awards 2014 : Competition". Cannes. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (October 10, 2012). "Hall joins Carell in 'Foxcatcher'". Variety. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Lodge, Guy (May 12, 2014). "Cannes Check 2014: Channing Tatum and Steve Carell in Bennett Miller's 'Foxcatcher'". HitFix. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (September 30, 2012). "Megan Ellison to finance 'Foxcatcher'". Variety. Retrieved October 20, 2012.
- Feinberg, Scott (August 15, 2014). "'Foxcatcher' Jumps to Sony Pictures Classics; Release Date Set". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Serafini, Kristina (October 17, 2012). "Film crews back in Sewickley area". Tribune-Review. Archived from the original on December 17, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- "Another Big-Budget Movie Begins Filming Locally". CBS Pittsburgh. October 15, 2012. Retrieved October 18, 2012.
- Brehun, Deborah A. (October 31, 2012). "Rector selected as locale for ‘Foxcatcher’ movie". Tribune-Review. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- "McKeesport aflutter over Channing Tatum". WTAE. October 31, 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2012.
- Sinichak, Jessica (November 15, 2012). "Nearby: Channing Tatum Filming ‘Foxcatcher’ in Butler County". Patch Media. Retrieved November 15, 2012.
- Niederberger, Mary (August 23, 2012). "West Mifflin school may host movie crew again". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved November 12, 2012.
- "Filming to close Washington street". Observer–Reporter. December 7, 2012. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Jones, Rachel (January 25, 2013). "You Give Me Fever: Channing Tatum". WHIRL Magazine. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "Pittsburgh extras needed for 'Foxcatcher' movie". WTAE. December 11, 2012. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "Convocation Center to be Closed for Filming". California University of Pennsylvania. November 28, 2012. Retrieved December 5, 2012.
- Owens, Crystal (October 15, 2012). "UPDATE: Movie magic at Morven Park?". Loudoun Times-Mirror. Retrieved October 31, 2012.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Moves Foxcatcher Back to 2014". comingsoon.net. CraveOnline. September 26, 2013. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Chang, Justin (April 17, 2014). "Cannes Unveils 2014 Official Selection Lineup". Variety. Retrieved April 17, 2014.
- Chang, Justin (May 19, 2014). "Cannes Film Review: ‘Foxcatcher’". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Kohn, Eric (May 19, 2014). "Cannes Review: Channing Tatum Anchors Bennett Miller's Icy 'Foxcatcher,' But the Revelation is Steve Carell". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Clarke, Donald (May 19, 2014). "Review: Foxcatcher". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- McCarthy, Todd (2014-05-19). "'Foxcatcher': Cannes Review". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Wilkins, Budd (2014-05-19). "Cannes Film Festival 2014: Foxcatcher Review". Retrieved 11 June 2014.