April 8, 1924 |
|Years active||1970 - 1993|
|Awards||Order of Canada
National Order of Quebec
Born in Saarbrücken, The Territory of the Saar Basin, he emigrated to Canada in 1948. He began teaching at the École des Beaux-Arts de Montréal. In 1952, he joined the graphics department of Radio-Canada and has remained there since.
He created a massive stained glass mural entitled L’histoire de la musique à Montréal ("history of music in Montreal") at the Place-des-Arts Metro station in Montreal. Unveiled on December 20, 1967, this stained glass was the first work of art to be commissioned for the Montreal metro system.
He was nominated for a 1989 Governor General's Awards in the Children's Literature - Illustration category for L'Homme qui plantait des arbres. In 1989, he was made a Knight of the National Order of Quebec. In 1990, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. In 2004, he was awarded the Eco-Hero Media Award from the Planet in Focus film festival.
Frédéric Back is a vegetarian and animal rights activist. He often says : "Animals are my friends and I do not eat my friends". He gave conferences on the subject and participated in demonstrations to support animal rights. He founded : "Société Québécoise pour la Défense des Animaux" a Society to protect animals.
Film work 
In 1980, he was nominated for an Academy Award for Animated Short Film for his film Tout rien (All Nothing in English). In 1982, he won the Academy Award for Animated Short Film for his film Crac!. In 1987, he won his second Academy Award for Animated Short Film for L'homme qui plantait des arbres (The Man Who Planted Trees in English). In 1994, he was nominated again for an Academy Award for Animated Short Film, for his film Le fleuve aux grandes eaux (Mighty River in English).
- "Frédéric Back – Ordre national du Québec". Ordre-national.gouv.qc.ca. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- Olivier Cotte (2007) Secrets of Oscar-winning animation: Behind the scenes of 13 classic short animations. (Making of L'homme qui plantait des arbres (film)|The Man Who Planted Trees) Focal Press. ISBN 978-0-240-52070-4
- Frédéric Back, agir ensemble | caring together
- Frédéric Back at the Internet Movie Database
- Frédéric Back at The Canadian Encyclopedia