Fragile (Sting song)
|Single by Sting|
|from the album ...Nothing Like the Sun|
|Sting singles chronology|
"Fragile" is a song composed by English musician Sting from his 1987 album ...Nothing Like the Sun. Released as a single the following year, it placed to number 70 on the UK Singles Chart. Sung additionally in both Spanish and Portuguese under the titles Fragilidad and Fragil, it appeared twice more on his 1988 EP variant of the album, Nada como el sol. The Spanish version features as a b-side to "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying".
It was one of the songs that it appeared in the 1992 Academy Awards video "The Panama Deception", which explains what really happened during the U.S. Invasion of Panama in December 20, 1989. It also was used in many ads after the September 11th tragedy and was the opening song in Sting's ...All This Time concert, recorded that evening.
The song also appears in the closing scenes of "Come from the Shadows", episode 59, of 21 Jump Street, the fourth episode of Season Four.
The song been covered by many international artists including Québécois singer Bruno Pelletier, Turkish bağlama artist Ahmet Koç, American jazz singer Cassandra Wilson, American trumpeter Freddie Hubbard, American soul singer Isaac Hayes, Mercedes Sosa and Pedro Aznar from Argentina, Nils Landgren, Shirley Clamp, Dionne Warwick, Julio Iglesias, Anita Lipincka, Jesse Cook, Stringmansassy, Holly Cole, ukulele virtuoso Jake Shimabukuro, 12 Girls Band in Shanghai, China, Tose Proeski during his concerts and on his 2011 album So Ljubov Od Tose and others.
- It was performed during the opening ceremony of the 2002 Winter Olympics.
- It has scored rendition on the instrumental music side as well, trumpeter Bruce Glover covered the song from his 2005 album "Fragile."
- In 2006, saxophonist Michael Lington covered the song from his album "A Song for You."
- The following year, guitarist Blake Aaron covered the song from his album "Desire."
- German singer Angelzoom recorded a version for her second album "Nothing is Infinite" in 2010. She also released a promotional video on YouTube.
- In 2011, cello duo, 2Cellos, consisting of Croatian cellists, Luka Šulić and Stjepan Hauser, covered this song, played as classical music.
- Before them, in 2006, another Croatian artist, Radojka Šverko covered this song on her 2006 album Men are my best friends.
- Brazilian recording artist Marina Elali recorded a Brazilian version of the song for her self-titled debut album, also singing some parts in English.
- A very popular version is played by Sting with Stevie Wonder.
Tupac Shakur sampled the song for the unreleased original of When Thugz Cry and Black Cotton. In 2001 rapper Angie Martinez sampled the melody for her original song "Every Little Girl" featuring The Product G&B, to be found on her debut album Up Close and Personal.
- "Fragile overview". Allmusic.com.
- "A Song for You overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Michael Lington - A Song for You". SmoothViews.com.
- "Desire overview". Allmusic.com.
- "Blake Aaron - Desire". Jazzreview.com.
- "Angelzoom - How fragile we are".
- "Marina Elali". Marina Elali. Retrieved January 12, 2013.