|Full name||François Joseph Modesto|
|Date of birth||19 August 1978|
|Place of birth||Bastia, France|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Defender / Midfielder|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 April 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Bastia, Modesto started his career with hometown club SC Bastia. On 20 February 1998 he made his first-team – and Ligue 1 – debut, in a 2–0 home win against AS Monaco FC, and was sparingly played by the Corsicans over the course of two seasons.
Aged 21, Modesto signed with another island club, Cagliari Calcio in Italy. He appeared in 22 Serie A games in his first year, suffering team relegation; in the 2003–04 campaign he played in a career-high 43 matches to help the Sardinia outfit return to the top level, as runner-up.
Late into the 2004 summer, after a brief loan spell with Modena FC, Modesto was sold by Cagliari to Monaco. In his second season he appeared in 29 league games (two goals) as the club finished in tenth position, adding seven matches in the campaign's UEFA Cup, which ended in round-of-32 against FC Basel, 1–2 on aggregate.
On 30 June 2010 Olympiacos F.C. signed Modesto for two years, with the Greek team paying him an annual salary of €550.000. During his first year, as the Piraeus club won the national championship, he was mainly used by coach Ernesto Valverde as a defensive midfielder, scoring twice in 24 appearances.
On 19 October 2011 Modesto scored his first goal in the UEFA Champions League, in a 3–1 group stage home win against Borussia Dortmund. He added another in the same competition against Arsenal (same venue and result) as Olympiacos finished third in its group, being "demoted" to the Europa League.
In the summer of 2013, aged nearly 35, Modesto left Olympiacos and signed a one-year contract with first club Bastia.
- Modesto, un ex in gol in Champions (Modesto, ex scores goal in Champions); Tutto Cagliari, 20 October 2011 (Italian)
- Olympiakos: Modesto a signé (officiel) (Olympiakos: Modesto has signed (official)); Top Mercato, 1 July 2010 (French)
- Defeat of Dortmund has Olympiacos on the rise; UEFA.com, 19 October 2011
- Olympiacos beat Arsenal but bow out; UEFA.com, 6 December 2011
- "François Modesto de retour à Bastia" [François Modesto back in Bastia] (in French). SC Bastia. 15 June 2013. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- L'Équipe stats (French)
- François Modesto French league stats at LFP.fr (French)
- Monaco official profile (French)
- Transfermarkt profile
- Soccerway profile