Frances Anne Cairncross CBE (born 30 August 1944, Otley, England) is a British economist, journalist and academic. She is a member of the council of economic advisers for the Scottish Government. Cairncross is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and a Senior Fellow at the School of Public Policy, UCLA. She chairs the Executive Committee of the Institute for Fiscal Studies.
Cairncross was on the staff of The Guardian from 1973 to 1984, and before that spent periods on the financial staff of The Times, The Banker and The Observer. She was on the staff of The Economist for 20 years, most recently as management editor.
Her book, The Company of the Future (ISBN 1861974051), was published in 2002 by Harvard Business School Press. In March 2003 Cairncross won the Institute of Internal Auditors' annual award for business and management journalism. Cairncross is also the author of The Death of Distance (ISBN 0875848060), a study of the economic and social effects of the global communications revolution, first published in 1997 and re-published in a new edition in 2001.
Education and personal life
Cairncross is the daughter of the economist Sir Alexander Kirkland Cairncross (a.k.a. Alec Cairncross) and the niece of the Russian Spy John Cairncross and is married to Hamish McRae. Cairncross holds honorary degrees from Trinity College Dublin, City University, and the Universities of Glasgow, Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Loughborough and Kingston.
- "Council of Economic Advisers". The Scottish Government. 2013-03-28. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Senior Fellow UCLA School of Public Policy
- New Chair of the Economic and Social Research Council[dead link]
- Past President - British Science Association[dead link]
- "Excerpt from the Book". Acm.org. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Rector - Exeter College, Oxford University[dead link]
- "Exeter College Announces Selection of New Rector". Exeter College. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Andrew Purvis (2007-06-23). "The Guardian". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
- Roy Greenslade "Big names among Independent leavers", guardian.co.uk (blog), 19 July 2013
- "Degree Speeches - Frances Cairncross". Lboro.ac.uk. Retrieved 2013-12-24.
|Rector of Exeter College, Oxford
|High Sheriff of Greater London
Andrew Everard Martin Smith