|Born||United States of America|
|Main interests||Ethics, Bioethics, Philosophy of law, Political philosophy|
Frances M. Kamm is a philosopher specialising in normative and applied ethics. Kamm is currently the Littauer Professor of Philosophy and Public Policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University and Professor of Philosophy in the Faculty of Arts & Sciences at Harvard. Before joining the Harvard faculty in 2003, she was on the faculty of New York University and also worked for the World Health Organisation as an ethics consultant. She is a fellow of the Hastings Center, an independent bioethics research institution.
- Creation and Abortion, 1992.
- Morality, Mortality, Vol. 1: Death and Whom to Save From It, 1993.
- Abortion and the Value of Life: A Discussion of Life's Dominion, Columbia Law Review, 1995.
- Morality, Mortality, Vol. 2: Rights, Duties, and Status, 1996.
- Ethical Issues in Using and Not Using Embryonic Stem Cells'. Stem Cell Reviews 1, Summer 2006.
- Moral Intuitions, Cognitive Psychology and the Harming/Not Aiding Distinction, Ethics, 1998.
- Intricate Ethics: Rights, Responsibilities, and Permissible Harm. New York: Oxford University Press, 2006.
Interviews with Kamm
- 'In Search of the Deep Structure of Morality.' (A conversation with Frances Kamm) In Alex Voorhoeve, Conversations on Ethics. Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-921537-9
Critical discussion of her work
- Unger, Peter, Living High and Letting Die Oxford University Press, 1996. (Unger argues that the intuitions [considered case judgments] on which Kamm relies in her work are, in fact, unreliable. Kamm responds in Intricate Ethics.)
- Kahneman, Daniel, 'Can We Trust Our Intuitions?' in Alex Voorhoeve Conversations on Ethics. Oxford University Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-19-921537-9 (Kahneman argues that Kamm's case-based method does not give us access to the reasons we have for making intuitive judgments.)
- Frances Kamm, Faculty of Arts and Sciences faculty page, (accessed 25 Seprember 2007).
- Frances Kamm, John F. Kennedy School of Government faculty page, (accessed 5 December 2007)
- The Harvard Crimson: Harvard Nabs NYU Philosopher, (accessed 10 November 2008)
- Brian Leiter's Summary of Philosophy Faculty Moves and Hirings, 2002-2003, (accessed 29 September 2008)