|Dame Frances Kirwan DBE|
|Born||1959 (age 54–55)|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Doctoral advisor||Michael Atiyah|
Kirwan was educated at Oxford High School, and studied maths as an undergraduate at the University of Cambridge. She took a D.Phil at Oxford in 1984 (dissertation title The Cohomology of Quotients in Symplectic and Algebraic Geometry), which was supervised by Michael Atiyah.
Kirwan's research interests include moduli spaces in algebraic geometry, geometric invariant theory (GIT), and also in the link between GIT and moment maps in symplectic geometry.  Her work endeavours to understand the structure of geometric objects by subtle investigation of their algebraic and topological properties. 
In 1996 she was appointed a University Professor of Mathematics. From 2004-2006 she was President of the London Mathematical Society, the second-youngest president in the society's history. In 2005, she received a five-year EPSRC Senior Research Fellowship, to support her research on the moduli spaces of complex algebraic curves.
Prizes, Awards and Scholarships
- London Mathematical Society Whitehead Prize, 1989 
- Fellow of the Royal Society, 2001 
- President, London Mathematical Society, 2003-2005
- EPSRC Senior Research Fellowship, 2005-2010
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012 
- London Mathematical Society Senior Whitehead Prize, 2013 
- DBE for services to mathematics, 2014 
- Cohomology of quotients in symplectic and algebraic geometry. Princeton University Press. 1984.
- An introduction to intersection homology theory. Longman Scientific and Technical. 1988. with Jonathan Woolf: 2nd edn. CRC Press. 2006.
- Complex algebraic curves. Cambridge University Press. 1992.
- Frances Kirwan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- President Designate of the London Mathematical Society. Mathematical Institute News, University of Oxford, 2004.
- Prof. Frances Kirwan awarded an EPSRC Senior Research Fellowship. Mathematical Institute News, University of Oxford, 2004
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2013.
- Kleiman, Steven L. (1990). "Review: An introduction to intersection homology theory, by Frances Kirwan". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 22 (1): 127–138.
- Oxford University Calendar 2004-5, Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Professor Frances Kirwan, Faces of Mathematics