Frances Cowells Schroth (April 11, 1893 – October 6, 1961) was an American competition swimmer, Olympic champion, and former world record-holder. She represented the United States at the 1920 Summer Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. She won the gold medal as member of the first-place U.S. team in the 4×100-meter freestyle relay, together with Margaret Woodbridge, Irene Guest and Ethelda Bleibtrey. The American relay team set a new world record of 5:11.6 in the event final. Individually, she also won bronze medals for her third-place performances in the women's 100-meter freestyle (1:17.2) and the women's 300-meter freestyle (4:52.0).
Schroth was born in Toledo, Ohio. She was married to George Schroth, an Olympic bronze medalist in water polo at the 1924 Summer Olympics.
- ^ a b c d e Sports-Reference.com, Olympic Sports, Athletes, Frances Schroth. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- ^ Sports-Reference.com, Olympic Sports, United States Swimming at the 1920 Antwerpen Summer Games. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- ^ Sports-Reference.com, Olympic Sports, Swimming at the 1920 Antwerpen Summer Games, Women's 100 metres Freestyle Final. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- ^ Sports-Reference.com, Olympic Sports, Swimming at the 1920 Antwerpen Summer Games, Women's 300 metres Freestyle Final. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- 1912: Great Britain (Moore, Fletcher, Speirs, Steer)
- 1920: USA (Woodridge, Schroth, Guest, Bleibtrey)
- 1924: USA (Donnelly, Ederle, Lackie, Wehselau)
- 1928: USA (Lambert, Osipowich, Saville, Norelius)
- 1932: USA (Johns, Saville, McKim, Madison)
- 1936: Netherlands (Selbach, Wagner, Den Ouden, Mastenbroek)
- 1948: USA (Corridon, Kalama, Helser, Curtis)
- 1952: Hungary (I. Novák, Temes, E. Novák, Szőke)
- 1956: Australia (Fraser, Leech, Morgan, Crapp)
- 1960: USA (Spillane, Stobs, Wood, von Saltza)
- 1964: USA (Stouder, de Varona, Watson, Ellis)
- 1968: USA (Barkman, Gustavson, Pedersen, Henne)
- 1972: USA (Babashoff, Barkman, Kemp, Neilson)
- 1976: USA (Peyton, Sterkel, Babashoff, Boglioli)
- 1980: East Germany (Krause, Metschuck, Diers, Hülsenbeck)
- 1984: USA (Johnson, Steinseifer, Torres, Hogshead)
- 1988: East Germany (Otto, Meißner, Hunger, Stellmach)
- 1992: USA (Haislett, Martino, Thompson, Torres)
- 1996: USA (Martino, Van Dyken, Fox, Thompson)
- 2000: USA (Van Dyken, Shealy, Thompson, Torres)
- 2004: Australia (Mills, Lenton, Thomas, Henry)
- 2008: Netherlands (Dekker, Kromowidjojo, Heemskerk, Veldhuis)
- 2012: Australia (Coutts, Campbell, Elmslie, Schlanger)