Francesca DiMattio (born 1981) is an American artist born and based in New York City. She makes paintings that weave spaces using architectural, design, cultural and historical references. Patterns, textures and imagery combine to forge a logical cohesion from apparently disparate and chaotic elements. Larger mural works on canvas have been displayed in the Saatchi Gallery in London, Locust Projects in Miami, Salon 94 Bowery in NYC and the ICA in Boston. Through painting and the hybridizing of art and craft she has introduced a new dialogue with the past that has enlivened the contemporary world Art scene. Her recent work using large ceramic, "vase-like" art constructions and a host of historical surface painting techniques has brought new color and life to these somewhat estranged disciplines. She received her BFA from the Cooper Union and MFA from Columbia University of the Arts in 2005.
- 2005- Paradise Lost, Marvelli Gallery, New York -First Look, Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art, Peekskill, NY
- 2006- New Work, Salon 94, New York -The General's Jamboree- Guild & Greyshkul Gallery, New York
- 2007- Abstract America, Saatchi Gallery, London, UK; -Unhinged, Laxart, Los Angeles, CA; -True Faith, Greenberg Van Doren Gallery, New York; -Killers and Their Hiding Places, World Class Boxing, Miami, FL
- 2008- November Again, Harris Lieberman Gallery, NY
- 2009- Futurescape, Contemporary Art Galleries, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT; -Master of Reality, curated by Joseph Wardwell, The Herbert and Mildred Lee Gallery, Rose Art Museum, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA; -Salon 94, New York Salon 94 Freemans, New York, NY; -Decollage, Locust Projects, Miami, FL
- 2010- Francesca DiMattio, Sandra & Gerald Fineberg Art Wall, Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston, MA; -Francesca DiMattio/Garth Weiser, The Suburban, Chicago, IL.; - Portugal Arte 10, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2011- Bouquet, Conduits Gallery, Milan, Italy; -Extended Painting International, Prague Biennial, Prague, Czech Republic; 8 Americans, Alain Noirhomme Gallery, Brussels, Belgium; 4 Rooms, CCA Ujazdowski Castle, Warsaw, Poland
- 2012-Francesca DiMattio, Table Setting and Flower Arranging, March 17- April 21, 2012, Salon 94 Bowery, New York, NY; Modern Talking, Cluj Museum, Cluj, Romania;
- Four Rooms, CSW Zamek, Warsaw, Poland
- Oisteanu, Valery (June 2012). "Table Setting and Flower Arranging". The Brooklyn Rail.
"Francesca DiMattio on Craft and Hybrid," by Emily Weiner, Artslant, April 11, 2012 "Francesca DiMattio Table Setting and Flower Arranging,"The Brooklyn Rail, by Erin Yerby June 04, 2012
- "Francesca DiMattio To Create New Installation for ICA’s Art Wall," Art Knowledge News, June 23, 2011
- Santacatterina, Stella, "Abstract America," Flash Art, December/ January 2010, p. 77-78.
- Smee, Sebastian, "Panel discussion," The Boston Globe, July 15, 2010 "Top 100 Emerging Artists," Flash Art, October 2009, p. 52-52
- "Top 100 Emerging Artists," Flash Art, October 2009, p. 52-52.
- "Francesca DiMattio at Salon 94 and Salon 94 Freeman" artcritical.com/2009/03/01/francesca-dimattio
- Wolff, Rachel, "Miami Art Machine", Manhattan, November 2009, p. 56-59.
- Abstract America, The Saatchi Gallery, Rizzoli, London, UK, 2007
- Francesca Dimattio, Salon 94, New York, NY, 2007