23 February 1955 |
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
|Notable works||Horrid Henry|
Francesca Simon, the author of Horrid Henry books, was born in St Louis; she grew up in California and attended both Yale and Oxford universities where she majored in medieval studies and Old English. Simon changed careers as a medievalist and worked as a journalist, writing for the Sunday Times, Guardian, Mail on Sunday, The Daily Telegraph and Vogue (US).
Simon's favourite writer is Anthony Trollope After she had her son Joshua in 1989, she started to write children's books full-time. Simon is one of the UK's best-selling children's writers; she has published over 50 different books, including the immensely popular Horrid Henry series, which has now sold over eighteen million copies. Simon won the Children’s Book of the Year in 2008 at the British Book Awards for Horrid Henry and the Abominable Snowman. The Horrid Henry series is published in 24 countries.
She lives in London with her husband Martin, son Joshua. Their Tibetan spaniel, Shanti died in Autumn 2013, but is memorialized in the short story Shanti that Simon wrote for inclusion in the Paws and Whiskers anthology by fellow author Jacqueline Wilson published in February 2014.
- Horrid Henry series, illustrated by Tony Ross (Orion Books, 1994 to present)
- The Topsy-Turvies , illus. Keren Ludlow (Dial, 1996); U.K. edition 1997, illus. Emily Bolam – picture book
- The Lost Gods (Faber Profile)– longlisted, 2014 Guardian Prize
- McCrum, Robert (13 September 2013). "Francesca Simon: 'When I started out, people would ask: "When will you write for adults?"'". theguardian.com. Retrieved 2014-02-19.
- Francesca Simon (13 February 2014). "Supporting Battersea Cats and Dogs Home". www.francescasimon.com. Retrieved 2014-06-10.
Published today is Paws and Whiskers a special anthology of the very best stories about cats and dogs from the world of children’s literature, chosen by my fellow author, and Battersea Cats and Dogs Home patron Jacqueline Wilson. This book is very special to me because it includes a piece about Shanti, my wonderful Tibetan spaniel, who very sadly died last autumn. That's Shanti on the cover, in the bottom right hand corner!
- Official website
- Francesca Simon at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Francesca Simon and Miranda Richardson interviewed at the Edinburgh Book Festival
- Francesca Simon at Library of Congress Authorities, with catalogue records
| group5 = Miscellaneous | list5 =
| below =See also:List of Horrid Henry characters