Francesco Carrozzini (born September 9, 1982) is an Italian-born photographer and Emmy-Award-nominated director currently based in New York City.
Francesco was born in Milan, Italy. As the son of Franca Sozzani, Italian Vogue's editor-in-chief, he grew up surrounded by designers, celebrities and artists. He also spent a lot of time on set with photographers Bruce Weber and Peter Lindbergh.
Influenced by this very creative environment, in his early teens, he began taking pictures and making short films with his friends.
In the summer of 1999, he went to Los Angeles to study film at the University of California, Los Angeles. He later returned to Italy to study philosophy at the University of Milan, until his subsequent move to New York City.
Francesco's career began in 2006, and in a few years he became one of the most respected young photographers in the industry. His photographs have appeared on the covers and in the pages of: Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, New York Magazine, W, Rolling Stone, L'Uomo Vogue, "Italian Vogue" and POP, amongst others.
He is well known for his portraiture and fashion editorials and campaigns. Francesco has photographed such diverse people as actors Robert De Niro, Scarlett Johansson, John Malkovich; models Heidi Klum, Linda Evangelista, Claudia Schiffer, Milla Jovovich, Naomi Campbell, Stephanie Seymour and Tyra Banks; and musicians Beyoncé, Sting, Keith Richards, Kanye West, Jay-Z and, Marilyn Manson and many more. He has also photographed artists Jeff Koons, Richard Prince and Marina Abramović.
Francesco has recently started working with politicians and has since photographed Nigerian President, Jonathan Goodluck, former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Tony Blair, former Pakistani Prime minister, Shaukat Aziz, United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon and New York City's mayor, Michael Bloomberg.
Francesco's first job was directing a 30” spot for Italian MTV at age 20. The following year, the advertising agency McCann Erickson assigned him the promo for the Venice Biennale of art.
In 2006, Francesco traveled to Poland to shoot a documentary about the life and creative process of the Polish Theatre Wierszalin. The same year he was commissioned to direct a series of films for The New York Times, which was later pioneered as “The New York Times Screen Tests,” for which he was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award. It is a collection of interviews featuring some of today’s most prestigious entertainers, such as Natalie Portman, Charlize Theron, and Marion Cotillard. The series has now grown to include dozens of other "screen tests", still shot in the original format Francesco used.
In 2008, Francesco also directed the short film "1937", a psychological thriller, shot in Suite #822 of the infamous Chelsea Hotel. The short competed at the Venice Film Festival.
He has since directed many commercials for clients such as Tommy Hilfiger, DKNY, Fiat 500 and a viral for the sunglasses brand Ray Ban, for which he was nominated for a Young Director's award at the Cannes Lions advertising festival.
In 2013 Francesco started directing music videos among which "Jealous" for Beyoncé
Francesco is currently working on a feature documentary
- “1937”- International Venice Film Festival, Short Film Competition, 2008
- “Wierszalin”- Feature Documentary, International Locarno Film Festival, Official Selection 2007
- January 2012: Francesco's L'Uomo Vogue cover shots included in Sotheby's charity auction celebrating the magazine, Paris.
- May 2011: Francesco's solo photography show at the open-air Stoleshnikov Lane Museum in Moscow, Russia.
- May 2010: Francesco's first New York solo photography show at the Diane Von Furstenberg Gallery.
- September 2008: Art film “Don’t Blink!” shown in a group exhibition at the Jeu De Paume Museum, Paris.
- May 2007: First solo photography exhibition, "Unique Exposure" at Galleria Cardi in Milan.
- March 2004: Francesco's video installation "Pause" shown at Duomo Cathedral in Milan alongside the work of artists Bill Viola and Mark Wallinger.
Francesco is creative director for the program connect4climate with the World Bank and for British pop star Rita Ora's second album campaign
Francesco is the face of the "Eau de Nuit" fragrance by Giorgio Armani
Vanity Fair Best Dressed
Francesco appeared in Vanity Fair's Best Dressed list in September 2013
- [dead link]
- "The Leading L Exposure Site on the Net". lexposure.net. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Wierszalin by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "NYTimes.com/TMagazine - Screen Tests". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Natalie Portman - New York Times by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. 2008-02-03. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Ray Ban - "Color goes pop" by Francesco Carrozzini". YouTube. 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- [dead link]