February 27, 1968 |
|Occupation||Critical Artist, Academic|
Francesco Monico PhD (born Venice, February 27, 1968) is an educator, broadcaster, artist and writer in Italy.
Monico worked for ten years as a director, screenwriter and program chief in Italian broadcast, sperimentale and interactive TV, is both a Technoetic researcher and artist. He was director and author for Rai3, Mediaset,Rai2, France 2, and channel manager for Tele+3, SeiMilano. Monico did research at Studium S3, at Fabrica, at the McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology at the University of Toronto. Former member of the Scientific Committee of Milano in Digitale with Antonio Caronia, Paolo Rosa, Pierluigi Capucci, and Franco Torrani. Former member of the Scientific Committee of the Leonardo da Vinci Science and Technology Museum in Milan, with Giulio Giorello, Emanuele Severino, and Enrico Bellone.In the past he was a regular media commentator for the International Herald Tribune's Italian news section.
Today Monico is both working on research and development with different companies and mainly engaged in directing the Media Design and New Media Art Department he founded at the Nuova Accademia di Belle Arti Milano in Milan. He is a professor of Theory and Method of Mass Media at the same institution, as well as founder director of the PhD program M-Node, Planetary Collegium, and a Senior Fellow of the McLuhan Program in Culture and Technology in Toronto, Canada. He is an alumnus of Derrick de Kerckhove. Monico became more focused on how technology shapes human communication, behaviour, and thought and is currently researching under Roy Ascott as part of the PhD CAiiA in the Planetary Collegium. Today is member of the International Programm Committee of the Isea 2011. Monico writes in online and print publications, and is New Media art commentator for Wired Italian edition. As Director of the Planetary Collegium M-Node he was part, with Roy Ascott, of the 2011 World Universities Forum Award for Best Practice in Higher Education. As Director of Research & Development project he settled up in 2013, with IOCOSE, the Transmodal Research between Art & Technology of STINNOVATIONCUP 2013.
After a research stint at the McLuhan Program he changed his expression channel from video to art, with a penchant for interactive installations, telematic art, BioArt, and various art-science combinations. Deeply influenced by Roy Ascott, Monico believes science and art can contribute to expanding global consciousness, but only with the help of alternative systems of knowledge. His modus operandi is based on a combination of science, art, philosophy, and esoteric knowledge in which the artist recognizes the paradoxical nature of knowledge and the contradictions inherent in formal epistemologies, and in his deep speculation his dealing with an hermeneutical approach. His metodology is a syncretic mixing critical theory and a pragmatic art approach that he applied as founder of the School of Media design & New Media Art at NABA.
Among his artworks is The Artist Formerly Known as Vanda (Tafkav - 2007/10) and Is there Love in the Technoetic Narcissus?. In 2009 he was curator for the first Italian solo show of bioartist Brandon Ballengée, Monstre Sacré . In fall 2011 Monico presented the tryptic The Hybrid Constitution at the Istanbul International Art Festival Amber.
- AMBER07: Body process arts festival. Istanbul, 9–17 November 2007. TAFKAV.
- DARS: Milan, 14–21 October 2008. TAFKAV.
- Premio Libero Ferretti: Ancona, 17–24 January 2009. TAFKAV.
- Festival Feedback Inter-acto Ergo Sum: San Casciano Val di Pesa, Florence, 26–28 June 2009.
- Palazzo della Permanente: Premio Libero Ferretti, Milan, 6–12 July 2009.
- StreamFest 2009, Mostra Wet & Dry - Relazioni tra arte e natura nel contemporaneo tecnologico. Galatina, Italy, 2–12 August 2009. TAFKAV.
- Mya Lurgo Gallery - Germinazioni curated by Martina Cavallarin: Lugano, Switzerland, 11 November 2009. TAFKAV.
- PAV Parco d'Arte Vivente  - Diverse Forme Bellisme with Piero Gilardi, curated by Claudio Cravero: Turin, Italy, 5 February 2010 to 11 April 2010. Is There Love in The Technoetic Narcissus? and TAFKAV.
- Nowhere Gallery - Il Ciclo Dell'Alterità: The Artist Formerly Known As Vanda, and C'è amore nel Narciso technoetico? ("Is There Love In The Technoetic Narcissus?"), Milan, 11 June to 17 July 2010.
- The Merchant of Venice,  - Biennale Vegetale. Doppia con Caroline Bougoreau. Venezia, Italy, 1–12 June 2011. TAFKAV, Studio Monitor.
- AMBER11: NEXT ECOLOGY. Istanbul, 4–13 November 2011. THE HYBRID CONSTITUTION.
- Monico, F. (2009). Monstre Sacré - Brandon Ballengée, Nowhere Gallery, Via del Caravaggio 12, Milano, 18 September 2009, Special Start Milano.
Conferences & Symposium Curacy
- New Media Art Education & Research 4: Always Already New - Deep Involvement of Education - Democratic Higher Education November 18 – 19, 2011, NABA, Via Carlo darwin 20, Milano. Curated by Francesco Monico, PierLuigi Capucci;
- Art as Media as Display, Biennals as Platform for Social Change: ISEA 2011 & Biennal of Art Istanbul September 17, 2011, Nederlands Consulaat General, Istiklal Caddesi 197, 34433 Beyoglu, Istanbul. Curated by Francesco Monico, Maurizio Bortolotti, Marieke Van Hal;
- New Media Art Education & Research 3: Always Already New - Thinking Media, Subversing Feeling, Scaffolding Knowledge: Art and Education in the Praxis of Transformation December 16 – 18, 2010, MEDIATECA SANTA TERESA, Via della Moscova 28, Milano. Curated by Francesco Monico, PierLuigi Capucci;
- New Media Art Education & Research 2009- 2 Topics 14 April 2008 – FONDAZIONE FORMA PER LA FOTOGRAFIA, - Sala delle Capriate, Piazza Tito Lucrezio Caro, Milan – ITALY Mercoledì, 4 marzo 2009. Curated by Francesco Monico;
- New Media art Education & Research 2008 14 APRIL 2008 – FONDAZIONE FORMA PER LA FOTOGRAFIA – ITALY, Piazza Tito Lucrezio Caro 1, 20136 Milano, curated by Francesco Monico & Luca Galli.
- Researching the Future: aspects of Art and Technoetics 2007 , CENTRO PER L'ARTE CONTEMPORANEA LUIGI PECCI, PRATO December 7-8-9, 2007, curated by Francesco Monico & Roy Ascott.
- Researching the Future: art and design in transmodal transition 2006 Milano,  February 8–9, 2006, curated by Francesco Monico.
- Monico, F. (2006). Il Dramma Televisivo: l'Autore e l'Estetica del Mezzo. Meltemi.edu, 58. Roma: Meltemi. ISBN 88-8353-471-9.
- Monico, F. (2006). Il Dramma televisivo: lexicon. m-node, Lulù, ISBN 978-88-95286-00-6.
- Monico, F. (2006). White Rabbit On The Moon in Technoetic Arts, July-06,Vol.4,Issue:2:Intellect. Print ISSN 1477-965X
- Monico, F. (2008). La Variazione Technoetica in "Le variazioni Grandi" Quaderno di Comunicazione 8. Roma: Meltemi.
- Monico, F. (2008). Is There Love in The Technoetic Narcissus? in "New Realities: Being Syncretic" Edition Angewandte, Springer-Verlag. Edited by Ascott, R.; Bast, G.; Fiel, W.,ISBN 978-3-211-78890-5.
- Monico, F. (2008). Introduzione a: Derrick De Kerckhove Dall'alfabeto a Internet. L'Homme "Litteré": Alfabetizzazione, Tecnologia, Cultura Traduzione di Antonio Caronia. Mimesis Edizioni. ISBN 978-88-8483-593-2.
- Monico, F. (2009). TAFKAV a Technoetic Installation in Technoetic Arts, December-09,Vol.7,Issue:3:Intellect. Print ISSN: 1477965X
- Monico, F. (2010).Introduzione and Uno di Uno - esiste una New Italian (media) Epic? Da una narrazione letteraria a una narrazione mediatica in LIMINA n.1/2010, Vol.1, January 2010, edited by Amos Bianchi, M-Node per NABA LIBRI, Print ISBN 978-88-95286-07-5
- Monico, F. (2012).Dei Precrimini e del Pensarsi, pag 249-260, in Anja Puntari, FEAR, Percorsi di Ricerca e Pratica Artistica, ISBN 978-88-906898-0-2
- Monico, F. (2012).An Experience on Higher Education in LIMINA 2 n.2/2012, Vol.2, July 2012, edited by Gabriela Galati, M-Node per NABA LIBRI, Print ISBN 978-88-95286-09-9
- Monico, F. (2009). La soglia tra arte ed essere. D'ARS, N.198. June 2009, page 29-31 Special 53° Biennale di Venezia, Milano, ISSN 00116726.
- "MILANO IN DIGITALE - arte elettronica, arte digitale, software art, net art, installazioni interattive, arte contemporanea, installazioni, convegni arte elettronica, eventi arte elettronica, eventi arte digitale, concorsi arte digitale, concorsi arte elettronica". Milanoindigitale.it. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "NABA Media Design e Arti Multimediali". Nabamediadesign.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- [dead link]
- "ISEA 2011".
- "TAFKAV - The Artist Formerly Known As Vanda". Tafkav.blogspot.com. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Nowhere Gallery Milano. "Nowhere Gallery". Nowhere Gallery. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "The Hybrid Constitution". thehybridconstitution.blogspot.com.
- [dead link]
- Nowhere Gallery Milano (2009-09-20). "Nowhere Gallery". Nowhere Gallery. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- Francesco Monico (2007-08-30). "White rabbit on the moon". Atypon-link.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- "Quaderno di comunicazione 8". Quaderno di comunicazione.com. Retrieved 2010-09-05.
- de Feo, Teresa. TAFKAV e un fiore di nome Vanda,article published in DIGIMAG N. 30 (2007 Dicembre - 2008 Gennaio).
- Martini, Alberto Mattia. 2008 Marzo.TAFKAV The Artist Formerly Known as Vanda, Un metodo eversivo article published in D'ARS N. 193 (March, 2008, 48° Years from 1960).
- Trivellin, Cristina. 2008 December.TAFKAV The Artist Formerly Known as Vanda article published in NOEMA Tecnologie e Società (14/12/2008).