Francis Egerton, 7th Duke of Sutherland
Francis Ronald Egerton, 7th Duke of Sutherland (born 18 February 1940), known as Francis Egerton until 2000, is a British peer.
Sutherland is the son of Cyril Reginald Egerton, the grandson of Francis Egerton, 3rd Earl of Ellesmere. His mother was Mary, daughter of Sir Ronald Campbell. Sutherland was educated at Eton and Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester (Gloucestershire).
In 2000, Sutherland succeeded his first cousin once removed as 7th Duke of Sutherland and 6th Earl of Ellesmere. Most of Sutherland's wealth is in the form of the art collection put together by the first Duke's uncle, Francis Egerton, 3rd Duke of Bridgewater, which had been inherited by the Ellesmere line of the family. In 2008 he sold Titian's Diana and Actaeon to the National Gallery of Scotland and National Gallery in London for £50m. He ranked 107th in the Sunday Times Rich List 2009, with an estimated wealth of £480m in art and land, including Mertoun House and Stetchworth House.
Marriage and issue
- James Granville Egerton, Marquess of Stafford (born 12 August 1975), who is married to Barbara Schneider (of Austria). They have three daughters:
- Lady Isabelle Victoria Egerton (born 10 December 2007)
- Lady Louisa Anna Egerton (born 7 January 2010)
- Lady Violet Mary Egerton (born 11 November 2011)
- Lord Henry Alexander Egerton (born 28 February 1977), who is married to Harriet Carter. They have three daughters:
- Hon. Beatrice Georgina Egerton (born 7 June 2005)
- Hon. Fenella Sybilla Egerton (born 18 January 2008)
- Hon. Rose Evelyn Egerton (born 20 March 2011)
|Ancestors of Francis Egerton, 7th Duke of Sutherland|
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Duke of Sutherland
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
His Grace The Duke of Wellington
His Grace The Duke of Sutherland
His Grace The Duke of Abercorn