|4th Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization|
1 October 2008
|Preceded by||Kamil Idris|
17 May 1951 |
Francis Gurry (born 17 May 1951) is an Australian national and the fourth and current Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). He is also Secretary-General of the International Union for the Protection of New Varieties of Plants (UPOV). Gurry previously served as a Deputy Director General of WIPO from 2003 to 2008.
Gurry graduated in 1974 from the University of Melbourne with a Bachelor of Laws and was admitted as a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Victoria, Australia in 1975. He worked in Melbourne as an articled clerk and solicitor at Arthur Robinson & Co. (now Allens (law firm)) and earned a Master of Laws degree from the University of Melbourne in 1976. From 1976 to 1979, Gurry was a research student at the Faculty of Law at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, from which he was awarded a PhD in 1980 for his thesis dealing with breach of confidence.
Before joining WIPO, Gurry was a senior lecturer in law at the University of Melbourne and, for one year, a solicitor at Freehills, Melbourne. He was also a visiting professor of law at the University of Dijon, France.
Francis Gurry joined the World Intellectual Property Organization in 1985 as a consultant and senior program officer in the Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific. Between 1988 and 1999, he held positions in different sectors of WIPO, including in the Industrial Property Law Section, the Office of the Director General, and the Legal Counsel Office. As Assistant Director General (from 1999-2003) and Deputy Director General (from 2003-2008), he was in charge of a variety of areas including the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), patent law and policy, the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center (which he helped establish), traditional knowledge, traditional cultural expressions and genetic resources, and life sciences.
Francis Gurry was nominated as a candidate for the position of Director General of WIPO in February 2008 and won the election on 13 May 2008. On 22 September 2008, he was appointed Director General by the WIPO General Assembly. His six-year term started on 1 October 2008 and will run through to the end of September 2014. Following his nomination by the WIPO Coordination Committee, the WIPO General Assembly on 8 May 2014 appointed Gurry for a second 6-year term running through September 2020.
In September 2014 Gurry removed Moncef Kateb, WIPO's Staff Council head, for blowing the whistle on Gurry activities as WIPO Director General.  Gurry has been accused of abusing his position in the awarding of IT procurement contracts  and breaking sanctions by sending IT equipment to North Korea and Iran.
- International Intellectual Property in an Integrated World Economy, Wolters Kluwer, New York, 2nd edition 2012 (with Frederick M. Abbott and Thomas Cottier), ISBN 978-0-7355-3958-7; 1st edition 2007, ISBN 978-0-7355-3958-7
- Breach of Confidence, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1984, ISBN 0-19-825378-8; second edition Gurry on Breach of Confidence – The Protection of Confidential Information by Tanya Aplin, Lionel Bently, Phillip Johnson, and Simon Malynicz, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2012, ISBN 978-0199297665
- International Intellectual Property System: Commentary and Materials, Kluwer Law International, The Hague, 1999 (with Frederick M. Abbott and Thomas Cottier), ISBN 90-411-9322-7
- Confidential Information, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1981
- "The Cambrian Explosion", International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law, vol. 38, no. 3 (2007), pp. 255–258
- "Globalization, Intellectual Property and Development", Proceedings of the American Society of International Law, 2005
- "The Growing Complexity of International Policy in Intellectual Property", Science and Engineering Ethics, vol. 11, no. 1 (2005), pp. 13–20
- "The Dispute Resolution Services of the World Intellectual Property Organization", Journal of International Economic Law, vol. 2, no. 2 (1999), pp. 385 – 398
- "The Evolution of Technology and Markets and the Management of Intellectual Property Rights", in Frederick M. Abbott and David Gerber (eds.) Public Policy and Global Technology Integration, (Kluwer Law International, London, 1997), ISBN 90-411-0655-3
- "Arbitrage et propriété intellectuelle", in Institut de recherche en propriété intellectuelle Arbitrage et propriété intellectuelle (Libraires Techniques, Paris, 1994), ISBN 2-7111-2383-9
- WIPO web site, WO/CC/54/2 Corr. Annex II. Curriculum Vitae of Mr. Francis Gurry. Consulted on 12 May 2007.
- WIPO website, Dr. Francis Gurry: Curriculum Vitae. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- WIPO website, Director General - Francis Gurry. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- Allens Arthur Robinson, Intellectual Property Bulletin – December 2008 Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- Melbourne Law School website, Professor Francis Gurry. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- Intellectual Asset Management magazine (January/February 2009), Francis Gurry – rebuilding WIPO’s shattered reputation. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- IP Australia Media Centre, "Dr Francis Gurry visit". Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- "IP's most important figures", Managing Intellectual Property, July / August 2005.
- Proposal for the candidacy of Mr. Francis Gurry (Australia) (post of Director of the World Intellectual Property Organization), letter of 13 February 2008 of Stephen Smith, Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs, to Mrs Hilde Skorpen, Chair, WIPO Coordination Committee.
- WIPO website, Key WIPO Body Nominates Candidate for Director General, Press release, PR/2008/552, Geneva, 13 May 2008. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- WIPO website, Francis Gurry of Australia Appointed as WIPO Director General, Press release, PR/2008/564, Geneva, 22 September 2008. Consulted on 21 February 2011.
- Appointment of new Director General, PCT Newsletter 10/2008, October 2008, page 1.
- WIPO website, WIPO’s Coordination Committee Nominates Francis Gurry for Second Term as Director General, Press release, PR/2014/754, Geneva, 6 March 2014. Consulted on 3 June 2014.
- Staff unions call for removal of UN patent agency chief, published 19 September 2014.
- Revealed: SECRET DNA TEST SCANDAL at UN IP agency. Published 8 August 2014.
- Francis Gurry at WIPO
- Francis Gurry at the Melbourne Law School, University of Melbourne
- Francis Gurry at the Munich Intellectual Property Law Center (MIPLC)
- An Interview with WIPO Director General Francis Gurry (WIPO Magazine 5/2010)
- An Exclusive Interview with Francis Gurry, WIPO Director General (IPWatchdog, 4 May 2010)
|Director General of World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)