|Meaning||free man, javelin, truthful|
|Related names||Francis, François, Frank, Franklin, Franco, Franz|
|Look up Francisco or francisco in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Francisco is a Spanish and Portuguese male name. It is a form of the name "Francis".
In Spanish, people with the name Francisco sometimes are nicknamed "Paco": San Francisco de Asís was known as Pater Comunitatis (The Community father) when he founded the Franciscan order, "Paco" is a short form of "Pater Comunitatis". Also, in Spanish Latin America and in the Philippines, people with the name Francisco are called "Pancho". "Kiko" is also used as a nickname in the Philippines.
In Portuguese, people named Francisco are commonly nicknamed "Chico" (shíco).
People with the given name
- Pope Francis is rendered in the Spanish and Portuguese languages as Papa Francisco
- Francisco Alves Mendes Filho Cena (1944–1988), known as Chico Mendes, Brazilian rubber tapper, unionist and environmental activist.
- Francisco Anysio de Oliveira Paula Filho (1966–1997), known as Chico Anysio, Brazilian actor, comedian, writer and composer.
- Francisco de Assis França, known as Chico Science, Brazilian singer and composer and one of the founders of the Mangue Beat cultural movement.
- Francisco Ayala (novelist) (1906–2009), Spanish novelist
- Francisco J. Ayala (born 1934), Spanish-American biologist and philosopher
- Francisco de Borja Echeverría (1848–1904), Chilean diplomat and politician
- Francisco Buarque de Hollanda, popularly known as Chico Buarque, Brazilian singer, guitarist, composer, dramatist, writer and poet.
- Francisco Cabrera (cyclist), Chilean track and road cyclist
- Francisco Caamaño Domínguez (born 8 January 1963), Spanish politician
- Francisco Carreón, Filipino revolutionary who was the former vice president of the brief Tagalog Republic that existed from 1902-1906
- Francisco Dagohoy, Filipino who started a rebellion against Spain that endured for 85 years
- Francisco Javier Duarte, Laser physicist
- Francisco Fonseca, Mexican football (soccer) player
- Francisco Hudson (1826–1859), Chilean navy officer and hydrographer
- Francisco Infante-Arana (b 1943), Russian painter
- Francisco de Jesus, Brazilian boxer
- Francisco Liaño, Spanish footballer
- Francisco Liriano, MLB starting pitcher
- Francisco Marto, Fatima visionary
- Francisco Morales, Argentine judoka
- Francisco Macías Nguema, later africanized his name to Masie Nguema Biyogo Ñegue Ndong, former dictator of Equatorial Guinea
- Francisco de Paula Cândido (1910–2002), known as Chico Xavier, a popular medium in Brazil's spiritism movement.
- Francisco Pizarro, Spanish conquistador
- Francisco Rodríguez (baseball, born 1982), (K-Rod) MLB closing pitcher
- Francisco Rotllán, Mexican football (soccer) player
- Francisco Santos, Angolan/Portuguese multi-talent artist and Olympic swimmer
- Francisco Sardinha, Indian politician, former Chief Minister of Goa and current member of the Indian National Congress.
- Francisco Munoz, 360 quick scope champion at MLG tournaments for 3 consecutive years.
- Francisco Velazquez, former Argentine roller hockey player
Fiction and Novels
- Francisco d'Anconia, character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged
- Francisco Vidal (disambiguation)
- Francisco Vidal (Chilean politician), Chilean politician
- Francisco González Gómez (1918–1990), Spanish caricaturist, painter and sculptor who used the pseudonym of Francisco