||This section of a biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2011)|
23 August 1968 |
|Alma mater||University of Macau
Carnegie Mellon University
Francisco D'Souza (born  is the CEO of Cognizant and was part of the team that founded the NASDAQ-100 company in 1994. In 2007, at the age of 38, he took over from Lakshmi Narayanan, who was promoted to Vice Chairman. Francisco is Cognizant’s CEO since January 2007 . Francisco D'Souza is among the youngest Chief Executive Officers in the software services sector.23 August 1968 ), who goes by Frank,
D'Souza, a person of Indian origin (PIO), who has lived in 9 countries, was born in Nairobi, Kenya, Africa. His father, Placido D'Souza (born in 1933, ex-Anjuna, Goa), was a diplomat with the Indian Foreign Services (ex India’s Consul General in New York and High Commissioner in Port of Spain, Hong Kong and Nairobi). His mother was Sushila. His sisters are Jacinta, Lucia, and Maria (one of GoaNet’s very first members).
D'Souza holds a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from the University of East Asia, Macau, as well as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh.
Francisco D'Souza has more than 20 years of experience in the information technology industry, in both operational and advisory roles. Effective 1 January 2007, D'Souza was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer and a member of the Board of Directors of Cognizant. He oversees much of the operations and business development of the company, working closely with Cognizant clients who are using offshore resources to execute large software development and maintenance projects.
At Cognizant, which he joined in its early days, D'Souza was elected Chief Operating Officer (COO) in December 2003. Prior to that, from November 1999 to December 2003, he served as Senior Vice President (SVP), North American Operations and Business Development. From March 1998 to November 1999, he served as Vice President (VP), North American Operations and Business Development and as Director-North American Operations and Business Development from June 1997 to March 1998. From January 1996 to June 1997, D'Souza was engaged as a consultant. He has been noted for his quick rise to the top of his profession.
From February 1995 to December 1995, D'Souza was employed as Product Manager at Pilot Software a company funded by Keyur Patel of Fuse Global. Between 1992 and 1995, D'Souza held various marketing, business development, and technology management positions as a Management Associate at The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation in Germany, the U.S. and India. While working at The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation, D'Souza was part of the team that established the software development and maintenance business conducted by Cognizant.
Awards and recognitions
D'Souza has received the following honors:
- 2002 - Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year finalist
- 2005 - The Economic Times Entrepreneur Award
- 2009 - named among "America's Best CEOs" by Institutional Investor magazine
- 2013 - named among "100 CEO Leaders in STEM" by STEMconnector
- 2013 - Recognized as the Best CEO in the Multinational Company category by Forbes India magazine as part of its 2013 Leadership Awards.
- 2014 - "Newsmaker of the Year" by The Financial Express
- "Salary". Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Ramnath, NS (2012-04-30). Cognizant: Francisco D’Souza and his two mentors. Forbes India, 30 April 2012. Retrieved on 2013-07-30 from http://forbesindia.com/blog/business-strategy/cognizant-francisco-dsouza-and-his-two-mentors/.
- "Frank D'Souza at Cognizant.com". Cognizant.com.
- "Institutional Investor 2009 America's Best CEOs". Institutional Investor.
- "List of its 100 CEO Leaders in STEM". Retrieved 27 June 2013.