Francisco Javier Rodríguez
|Full name||Francisco Javier Rodríguez Pinedo|
|Date of birth||20 October 1981|
|Place of birth||Mazatlán, Mexico|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 April 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Francisco Javier "El Maza" Rodríguez Pinedo (Spanish pronunciation: [fɾanˈsisko xaˈβjer roˈðɾiɣes]; born 20 October 1981) is a Mexican footballer currently playing for Liga MX club Cruz Azul and the Mexican national team.
Francisco Javier Rodríguez was born in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, which is the origin of his nickname "Maza" (short for Mazatlán). He began his professional career with Guadalajara, debuting for the club during the Apertura 2002 tournament.
During the Apertura 2006, Rodríguez played a pivotal role in Guadalajara's championship-winning run, winning the final second-leg match 2–1 (3–2 on aggregate) against Toluca on 10 December. The win gave Chivas their eleventh league championship, a record which stood until América matched their eleven championships in 2013.
On 9 May 2008, it was announced that he was transferred for USD $1.8 million to Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, making him the second Mexican in the squad along with Carlos Salcido. Rodríguez started his debut season mostly on the bench, and proved to be an alternative as one of two centre backs such as Dirk Marcellis. He scored his first goal with the Dutch giants on 25 November 2008 with a blistering 30-yard shot against Heracles Almelo.
Prior to the start of the 2009–10 season, Rodríguez was given the number four jersey, previously worn by Manuel da Costa, who had transferred to Fiorentina in January 2008. He played a more central role in the team, having won a starting spot in the center of defence for both the Eredevisie and the Europa League.
On 14 July 2011, Rodríguez signed a three-year contract with VfB Stuttgart for an undisclosed fee. Rodríguez made his Bundesliga debut on 6 August 2011 in a 3–0 win against Schalke 04. He registered an assist in the 37th minute to Cacau, which gave Stuttgart a 2–0 lead in their 3–0 victory.
On 4 June 2014, Rodríguez was transferred to Cruz Azul.
Mexico national team
Rodríguez made his debut with the senior team on 18 February 2004 in a friendly match against Chile in Carson, California. He scored his first goal for Mexico on 8 July 2005 in a 1–2 CONCACAF Gold Cup loss against South Africa.
Rodríguez was a part of the Mexico squad who participated in the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. He was a starter in all of Mexico's group matches, and played the Round of 16 match against Argentina.
During the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup, Rodríguez, and four other members of the Mexican national team, tested positive for the banned substance of Clenbuterol and were withdrawn from the team's tournament squad. However, all players were exonerated as FIFA determined that the accused had accidentally ingested the banned substance through contaminated meat that had been served during a pre-tournament training camp. However, World Anti-Doping Agency appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to request a ban. But on 12 October 2011, WADA withdrew this request after the full file was available for them.
- As of 2 April 2014
|1.||8 July 2005||The Home Depot Center, Carson, United States||South Africa||1–2||1–2||2005 CONCACAF Gold Cup|
- Cruz Azul
- "Francisco Javier Rodríguez Pinedo". Soccerway. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "VfB sign Maza". VfB Stuttgart. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Francisco ´Maza´ Rodríguez moves to VfB Stuttgart". PSV Eindhoven. 15 July 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "VfB Stuttgart 3–0 Schalke 04". ESPN Soccernet. 6 August 2011. Retrieved 15 July 2011.
- "Stuttgart – the Mexican’s second home.". VfB Stuttgart. 2 January 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2013.
- "Five Mexico Players Test Positive". ESPN Soccernet. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "FMF absolvió a acusados de dopaje". ESPNDeportes Mexico (in Spanish). 10 July 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "FOOTBALL – THE CAS DISMISSES URGENT REQUEST FOR A STAY FILED BY OLYMPIAKOS VOLOU". The Court of Arbitration for Sport. 17 August 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "WADA withdraws CAS appeal in case of Mexican footballers". World Anti-Doping Agency. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Francisco Rodríguez". Soccernet. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Medio Tiempo stats".[dead link]
- "Francisco Javier Pinedo Rodriguez". ESPN Soccernet. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Maza > Club matches". worldfootball.net. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "Francisco Javier Rodriguez's Senior National Team Goals".
- Francisco Javier Rodríguez Liga MX stats at Medio Tiempo.com (Spanish)
- Francisco Javier Rodríguez at National-Football-Teams.com
- 'Francisco Javier Rodríguez at fussballdaten.de (German)