Francisco José Maldonado
|Full name||Francisco José Maldonado Collante|
|Date of birth||2 June 1981|
|Place of birth||San Fernando, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2004–2005||→ Ceuta (loan)||34||(7)|
|2005–2006||→ Lorca Deportiva (loan)||26||(13)|
|2007–2008||→ Gimnàstic (loan)||31||(4)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Maldonado, a product of Real Betis's youth system, played for the Andalusia club four seasons, making his La Liga debut on 8 February 2003 by featuring 15 minutes in a 1–4 away loss against Real Madrid. He would only appear in four games in two seasons combined before moving to AD Ceuta and then Lorca Deportiva CF, completing successful loan spells.
During the summer of 2006, Betis re-signed Maldonado from Lorca for €62,000. He impressed during the summer friendlies, and was given a starting place against Valencia CF in a 1–2 away loss for the season opener, as a right winger in the absence of Joaquín.
Following a promising start – with another four matches in the starting XI – that included an assist against Athletic de Bilbao in a 3–0 home win, Maldonado found himself out of favour with newly appointed coach Luis Fernández, and finished the campaign with 15 appearances, going scoreless in the process.
In 2007–08 Maldonado was again loaned, to second division team Gimnàstic de Tarragona. At the end of the season he joined promoted Sporting de Gijón, on a three-year deal; on 21 December 2008 he netted his first goal for the Asturians, in a 1–0 home win over UD Almería, with his club narrowly avoiding top flight relegation.
After a poor second season individually, Maldonado left for FC Cartagena in the second level. He continued competing in the category in the following years with Xerez CD, being relegated in 2013.
- Maldonado: «Nos falta un delantero, pero yo también tengo cabida en este proyecto» (Maldonado: «We lack a forward, but i also belong to this project»); ABC, 10 August 2003 (Spanish)
- Baños: «A Unai Emery lo tengo ya renovado en un 99,9 %» (Baños: «Unai Emery is 99,9 % renewed»); La Verdad, 31 March 2006 (Spanish)
- 'Tati' Maldonado salió ayer por segunda vez como titular y ya lleva marcados cuatro goles ('Tati' Maldonado started for the second time yesterday and has already scored four goals); La Verdad, 30 January 2006 (Spanish)
- "Valencia 2–1 Real Betis". ESPN Soccernet. 26 August 2006. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- El Betis golea ante un Athletic inofensivo (Betis routs harmless Athletic); El Mundo, 10 September 2006 (Spanish)
- "Luis Fernández descarta a Dani, Vogel, Maldonado y Romero" [Luis Fernández discards Dani, Vogel, Maldonado and Romero] (in Spanish). Marca. 8 May 2007. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "El Nàstic presentará hoy al delantero 'Tati' Maldonado" [Nàstic will present forward 'Tati' Maldonado today] (PDF) (in Spanish). El Mundo Deportivo. 13 August 2007. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- El Sporting presenta a Maldonado (Sporting presents Maldonado); Marca, 1 August 2008 (Spanish)
- Sporting Gijon 1–0 Almeria; ESPN Soccernet, 21 December 2008
- "Maldonado abandona ´triste´ el Sporting para fichar por el Cartagena" [Maldonado leaves Sporting ´sad´ to sign for Cartagena] (in Spanish). La Nueva España. 6 August 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Tati Maldonado, primer refuerzo en el mercado de invierno" [Tati Maldonado, first winter market addition] (in Spanish). La Voz Digital. 24 January 2012. Retrieved 11 April 2014.