Puñal in training with Osasuna
|Full name||Francisco Puñal Martínez|
|Date of birth||6 September 1975|
|Place of birth||Pamplona, Spain|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|1994–1995||→ Oberena (loan)|
|1995–1996||→ Egüés (loan)|
|1999–2001||→ Leganés (loan)||62||(11)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Pamplona, Navarre, Puñal played his entire professional career with CA Osasuna save for two on-loan seasons with Madrid's CD Leganés, in Segunda División. His first official game for the main squad came on 15 June 1997 in a 1–1 away draw against SD Eibar, in the same category.
After his loan spell Puñal returned as an automatic first-choice, scoring his first La Liga goal on 27 October 2001 at already 26, in a 4–0 home win over RCD Mallorca. In Osasuna's 2005–06 historical league campaign, which brought a best ever fourth-place finish, he netted four in 34 matches.
On 29 November 2006, as the club went on to reach the last-four in the UEFA Cup, Puñal scored three times (one in his net) in a 3–1 home win against Odense Boldklub in the group stage. He appeared in 47 official contests that season.
From 2007 to 2010 veteran Puñal continued to figure prominently for Osasuna, featuring in exactly 100 league games – scoring twice through penalties, in a 2–0 win at Getafe CF and a 1–2 home loss against Real Madrid, both goals coming during 2007–08 – and also being the club's undisputed captain after the retirement of César Cruchaga. During that timeframe, he was booked a total of 37 times in the league.
Puñal finished 2012 on a high note, being a father for the first time and having appeared in a total of 470 official matches for his main club, a best-ever. He obtained the record after his 464th overall appearance on 21 October, against Real Betis, and on 26 May 2013 he again entered the team's history books, netting from 30 meters and contributing to a 2–1 home win against Sevilla FC which certified permanence in the top division for another year, with one game remaining.
- Patxi Puñal, la imparable leyenda 'rojilla', alcanza el récord de partidos con Osasuna (Patxi Puñal, the unstoppable 'rojilla' legend, reaches record of games with Osasuna); Diario de Navarra, 7 October 2012 (Spanish)
- Más que un capitán (More than a captain); Revista de Navarra, 4 April 2014 (Spanish)
- Sólo siguen diez (Only ten continue); El Mundo Deportivo, 9 June 2000 (Spanish)
- Eibar pierde 150 millones (Eibar loses 150 million); El Mundo Deportivo, 16 June 1997 (Spanish)
- Osasuna pasa por encima de un Mallorca a la deriva (Osasuna steamrolls drifting Mallorca); El Mundo Deportivo, 28 October 2001 (Spanish)
- Puñal puts Osasuna on brink; UEFA.com, 29 November 2006
- Getafe 0–2 Osasuna; ESPN Soccernet, 30 March 2008
- Osasuna 1–2 Real Madrid; ESPN Soccernet, 4 May 2008
- Patxi Puñal nunca podrá olvidar un año como 2012 (Patxi Puñal will never forget a year like 2012); Marca, 27 December 2012 (Spanish)
- Cejudo earns the points; ESPN FC, 26 May 2013