Francisco Rivera (fighter)
October 8, 1981 |
Whittier, California, USA
|Residence||Buena Park, California, USA|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Buena Park, California, USA|
|Team||United Mixed Martial Arts|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Francisco Rivera Jr. (born October 8, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist. He fights as a bantamweight for the Ultimate Fighting Championship. As of May 26, 2014, he is #12 in official UFC bantamweight rankings. Rivera is known for his heavy hands and wild fighting style.
Mixed martial arts career
World Extreme Cagefighting
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Rivera was expected to drop to Bantamweight and face Takeya Mizugaki on March 3, 2011 at UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann. However, Rivera was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Reuben Duran.
Return to the UFC
Rivera returned to the UFC to face Alex Soto on May 15, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier, replacing Azamat Gashimov who was removed from the bout. Rivera won the fight via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).
Rivera faced Roland Delorme on July 21, 2012 at UFC 149. Rivera defeated Delorme via first round KO. However, Rivera later failed his post-fight drug test for an over-the-counter stimulant and the win was overturned to a No Contest.
Rivera was expected to face George Roop on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. However, the pairing was shifted to November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31. He won the fight via TKO in the second round.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|14 matches||10 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||10–3 (1)||Takeya Mizugaki||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–2 (1)||George Roop||TKO (punches)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||2||2:20||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Edwin Figueroa||TKO (punches)||UFC 156||February 2, 2013||2||4:20||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|NC||8–2 (1)||Roland Delorme||No Contest (overturned by commission)||UFC 149||July 21, 2012||1||4:19||Calgary, Alberta, Canada||Originally win by KO (punches); Overturned as Rivera tested positive for banned substance.|
|Win||8–2||Alex Soto||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||7–2||Antonio Duarte||KO (punches)||TPF 12: Second Coming||March 9, 2012||1||1:15||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Win||6–2||Brad McDonald||KO (punches)||TPF 11: Redemption||December 2, 2011||1||0:40||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||5–2||Reuben Duran||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale||June 4, 2011||3||1:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Bantamweight debut|
|Loss||5–1||Erik Koch||TKO (head kick & punches)||WEC 52||November 11, 2010||1||1:36||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Fernando Bernstein||TKO (punches)||Called Out MMA 2||January 24, 2010||1||0:30||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Aaron Arana||Decision (majority)||Called Out MMA 1||August 15, 2009||3||5:00||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Johnny Gomez||Decision (unanimous)||Call To Arms 1||May 16, 2009||3||5:00||Ontario, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Chris Drumm||KO (punches)||California Xtreme Fighting||October 30, 2008||1||0:46||El Monte, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ray Cox||KO (punches)||CXF: Uprising in Upland||June 14, 2008||1||0:52||Upland, California, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC 173 Barao vs. Dillashaw". UFC.com. Retrieved May 26, 2014.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Francisco Rivera Buena Park Alum". Retrieved 2014.
- "Francisco R. OCC Alum". Retrieved 2014.
- "Erik Koch to Stay on WEC 52 Card, Face Newcomer Francisco Rivera". mmafighting.com. 2010-11-03.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Takeya Mizugaki Faces Francisco Rivera at UFC on Versus 3 March 3". MMAweekly.com. 2010-12-17.
- "Newcomer Reuben Duran signs on to face Takeya Mizugaki at UFC on Versus 3". mmajunkie.com. February 15, 2011.
- "Reuben Duran vs. Francisco Rivera slotted for The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale". mmajunkie.com. March 12, 2011.
- "Francisco Rivera replaces Azamat Gashimov, faces Alex Soto at UFC on FUEL TV 3". mmajunkie.com. May 1, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (June 6, 2012). "Francisco Rivera vs. Ken Stone Set for UFC on FX 4". mmaweekly.com.
- "Dustin Pague in for injured Francisco Rivera meets Ken Stone at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. June 15, 2012.
- "Roland Delorme vs. Francisco Rivera slated for UFC 149 in Calgary". mmajunkie.com. June 19, 2012.
- "UFC 149 wins for Riddle, Rivera overturned to no contests after positive drug tests". mmajunkie.com. October 20, 2012.
- "Edwin Figueroa-Francisco Rivera booked for UFC 156 in February". mmajunkie.com. December 12, 2012.
- Ken Pishna (March 5, 2013). "Francisco Rivera and Hugo Viana Agree to UFC on Fox 7 Bantamweight Battle". mmaweekly.com.
- Matt Erickson (2013-03-22). "T.J. Dillashaw replaces Francisco Rivera, meets Hugo Viana at UFC on FOX 7". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
- Staff (August 4, 2013). "George Roop vs. Francisco Rivera joins stacked UFC 166 lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-23). "Rivera vs. Roop to UFC Fight Night 31". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-23.
- Matt Erickson. "Raphael Assuncao meets Francisco Rivera at UFC 170 in Las Vegas". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Broken hand knocks Francisco Rivera from UFC 170 fight with Raphael Assuncao". mmajunkie.com. February 3, 2014.
- John Morgan (2014-03-28). "Francisco Rivera steps in to fight Takeya Mizugaki at UFC 173". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-03-28.