October 3, 1924
|Died||July 1, 1992
|Spouse(s)||Carla Simonetti (annulled)
Claudia Cardinale (1966–1975)
Zeudi Araya (1983–1992, his death)
In the 1950s, Cristaldi changed his attention to feature films and moved to Rome. During his long career, he worked with directors and screenwriters such as Francesco Rosi, Pietro Germi, Mario Monicelli, Federico Fellini, Luchino Visconti, and Giuseppe Tornatore. A noted film producer from some years in his native Italy, some of Cristaldi's most successful films internationally included The Name of the Rose and Nuovo cinema Paradiso. (The former winning a César and two BAFTAs, and the latter winning several BAFTAs, the Grand Prix at Cannes, and Best Foreign Language Film at the 62nd Academy Awards).
In 1977 Cristaldi was elected president of the International Federation of Film Producers Associations, and was a member of the jury at the 1984 Cannes Film Festival.
He was first married to Carla Simonetti with whom he had a son, Massimo. He applied to the Vatican to have this marriage annulled, and in 1966 married actress Claudia Cardinale. He mentored Cardinale through her own film career, producing many of her films, until their divorce in 1975. In 1983, he married Eritrean actress Zeudi Araya, who starred in several Cristaldi-produced films.
- A Hero of Our Times (1955)
- Mio figlio Nerone, 1956;
- Le notti bianche, 1957;
- A Man of Straw, 1958;
- Big Deal on Madonna Street, 1958;
- Kapò, 1959;
- Piece of the Sky, 1959;
- Ghosts of Rome, 1961;
- The Assassin, 1961;
- Divorce, Italian Style, 1961;
- Seduced and Abandoned, 1964;
- Vaghe stelle dell'Orsa, 1965
- Alibi 1969
- The Red Tent, 1969
- Oh, Grandmother's Dead (1969)
- L'udienza, 1971
- Amarcord, 1973
- Christ Stopped at Eboli, 1979
- Café Express, 1980
- E la nave va, 1983;
- The Name of the Rose, 1986;
- Nuovo cinema Paradiso, 1988
- IMDB - Franco Cristaldi Filmography
- Hollywood.com - Franco Cristaldi
- CristaldiFilm.com - Who we are
- IMDB - Name of the Rose - Awards
- IMDB - Cinema Paradiso - Awards
- Franco Cristaldi at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Courage of Claudia Cardinale". Parade Magazine. 25 June 1967.
- "Film Star Reveals Secret of Baby Son". The Sun Herald. 16 April 1967.