|Born||15 February 1916|
|Died||18 October 1995(aged 79)|
Life and career
Son of a barber and of a cinema cashier, Franco Fabrizi started his career as a model and an actor in fotoromanzi. Fabrizi also starred on several revues and stage works, then he debuted on big screen with a supporting role in Chronicle of a Love (Cronaca di un amore) (1950), Michelangelo Antonioni's long film debut.
The role that made him known him was the role of Fausto in Federico Fellini's I vitelloni; from then he was inextricably linked to the character of a full-time seducer, a young wastrel, a young not-so-young man who refuses to grow up, a character that he reprised, with different facets, in a great number of films. Past the fifties, Fabrizi was mainly relegated in character roles in Italian, French and Spanish minor productions; he still appeared on several major works of Italian cinema, and one of his last great roles was in Luchino Visconti's Death in Venice.
In 1993 he had a serious car accident from which he recovered; immediately after, however, it manifested the illness that led him to death. Fabrizi died of a bowel cancer in 1995.
- Chronicle of a Love (Cronaca di un amore) Michelangelo Antonioni, (1950)
- I Vitelloni, Federico Fellini (1953)
- Torna! (1953)
- Vortice (1953)
- Schiava del peccato (1954)
- Camilla (film) (1954)
- Woman of Rome (La romana), Dino Risi (1954)
- Il bidone, Federico Fellini (1955)
- Le amiche, Michelangelo Antonioni (1955)
- Racconti romani (1955)
- Calabuch, Luis García Berlanga (1956)
- Noi siamo le colonne (1956)
- No Sun in Venice (1957)
- Nights of Cabiria, Federico Fellini (1957)
- Racconti d'estate (1958)
- Un maledetto imbroglio, Pietro Germi (1959)
- I Genitori in Blue-Jeans (1960)
- The Wastrel (1961)
- Orazi e curiazi (1961)
- A Difficult Life (Una Vita Difficile), Dino Risi (1961)
- Copacabana Palace (1962)
- Gli onorevoli (1963)
- La donna degli altri è sempre più bella (1963)
- Night Train to Milan (1963)
- Via Margutta (1963)
- Rat Trap (1963)
- The Birds, the Bees and the Italians (Signore e signori), Pietro Germi (1965)
- Una questione d'onore (1965)
- Io la conoscevo bene, Antonio Pietrangeli(1966)
- Le Petit Baigneur (1968)
- Anyone Can Play (1968)
- Death in Venice (film) (Morte a Venezia), Luchino Visconti (1971)
- La Mala ordina (1972)
- La Polizia ringrazia (1972)
- Touche pas à la femme blanche, Marco Ferreri (1974)
- The Flower in His Mouth (1975)
- Ginger and Fred (1986)
- The Little Devil (Il piccolo diavolo), Roberto Benigni (1988)
- Ricky e Barabba (1992)
- Guglielmo Siniscalchi. Enciclopedia del Cinema. Treccani, 2003.
- Maurizio Porro (19 October 1995). "E' morto Franco Fabrizi, una carriera da "vitellone"". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- S. N. (1995-10-19). "Morto Franco Fabrizi, rubacuori dei Vitelloni". La Stampa. p. 21.