Frank Henrik Aarebrot (born 19 January 1947) is a Norwegian political scientist from Bergen. He is professor of comparative politics at the University of Bergen and adjunct professor of democracy development at the Örebro University. He regularly lectures at Institut des Sciences Politiques and at the Humboldt University. Aarebrot has written several books on the democratisation of Europe, following the fall of the Berlin Wall. In Norway Aarebrot is known as a political commentator.
Frank Aarebrot was the assistant of Stein Rokkan. Between 1969 and 1976, he studied at Yale University, the University of Michigan and received his cand.polit.-degree in comparative politics in 1976. Since 1977 he has been employed by the Institute of Comparative Politics at the University of Bergen.
Together with the Norwegian TV-comedian and sociologist Harald Eia and TV-comedians Bård Tufte Johansen and Kristopher Schau, Aarebrot tried to prove Pierre Bourdieus critic of Television, claiming that it's not an organ of information, but rather distraction: While Aarebrot and Bård Tufte Johansen led a normal-like TV-discussion about the ideas of Pierre Bourdieu, Kristopher Schau was licking dipmix off of the remaining parts of Aarebrots leg. This was meant to work as proof of Bordieus ideas, as the viewers most likely wouldn't remember the actual discussion.
Aarebrot usually holds one of the top spots in the rankings of most quoted scientists in Norwegian media.
- Frank Aarebrot and Pål Bakka: “Die Vergleichende Methode in der Politikwissenschaft“ i Dirk Berg-Schlosser and Ferdinand Müller-Rommel (red.): Vergleichende Politikwissenschaft, 4. utgave, (2006)
- Joakim Ekman, Henri Vogt, Frank Aarebrot and Sten Berglund: The Making Of The European Union: Foundations, Institutions and Future Trends (2006)
- Sten Berglund, Joakim Ekman and Frank Aarebrot (red.): The Handbook of political change in Eastern Europe 2. utgave (2004)
- Sten Berglund, Frank Aarebrot, Henri Vogt and Georgi Karasimeonov: Challenges to democracy : Eastern Europe ten years after the collapse of communism (2001)
- Frank Aarebrot and Terje Knutsen: Politics and Citizenship on the Eastern Baltic Seaboard. The structuring of Democratic Politics from North-West Russia to Poland (2000)
- Sten Berglund and Frank Aarebrot: The Political History of Eastern Europe in the 20th Century. The Struggle Between Dictatorship and Democracy (1997)
- Søilen, Oddmund. "Frank Aarebrot". Norsk biografisk leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Johansen, Per Kristian (25 August 2008). "Frank Aarebrot" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 25 January 2010.
- Stangeland, Silje (15 february 2008). "Roland mest siterte UiS-professor i 2007" (in Norwegian). University of Stavanger. Retrieved 20 February 2010.