Taylor & Francis
|Founder||William Francis & Richard Taylor|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Publication types||Books and peer-reviewed journals|
|Nonfiction topics||Medicine, science, social science, mathematics, law, engineering & more|
Taylor & Francis Group is an international company originating in the United Kingdom that publishes books and academic journals. It is a division of Informa plc, a United Kingdom-based publisher and conference company.
The company was founded in 1852 when William Francis joined Richard Taylor in his publishing business. Taylor initially founded his company in 1798. Their subjects covered include agriculture, chemistry, education, engineering, geography, law, mathematics, medicine, and social sciences.
Taylor & Francis merged with Informa in 2004 to create a new company called T&F Informa, since renamed back to Informa. Taylor & Francis Group is now the academic publishing arm of Informa.
Taylor & Francis publishes more than 1,000 journals, and over 1,800 new books each year, with a backlist of over 20,000 titles. The group has at least nine offices, in the United Kingdom, New York, Boca Raton, Philadelphia, Singapore, Sydney, and New Delhi. The journals and e-books have been delivered through the Taylor & Francis Online website since June 2011. Prior to that they were provided through the Informaworld website.
The old Taylor and Francis logo depicts a hand pouring oil into a lit lamp, along with the Latin phrase "alere flammam" (to feed the flame). The modern logo is a stylised oil lamp in a circle.
In 2013, the entire board of the Journal of Library Administration resigned in a dispute over author licensing agreements.
- A.A.Balkema (acquired in 2003)
- AK Peters (acquired in 2010)
- The Analytic Press (acquired with Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates in 2006)
- Arnold (acquired in 2012)
- Bellwether Publishing (acquired in 2013)
- BIOS Scientific Publishers (acquired in 2003)
- Brunner-Routledge (1998)
- Carfax (acquired with Routledge in 1998)
- Cavendish (acquired in 2006)
- CRC Press
- Curzon (acquired in 2001)
- David Fulton Press
- Earthscan (acquired in 2011)
- Europa Publications (acquired in 1999)
- Fitzroy Dearborn Publishers (acquired in 2002)
- Focal Press
- Frank Cass (acquired in 2003)
- Garland Science
- Gordon & Breach (acquired in 2001)
- Harwood Academic (acquired with Gordon & Breach in 2001)
- Haworth Press (acquired in 2007)
- Heldref Publications (except World Affairs) (acquired in 2009)
- Lawrence Erlbaum and Associates (acquired in 2006)
- Manson Publishing (acquired in 2014)
- Marcel Dekker (acquired in 2003)
- Martin Dunitz (acquired 1999)
- Parthenon Publishing (acquired with CRC Press in 2003)
- Psychology Press
- RFF Press (acquired with Earthscan in 2011)
- Routledge (acquired in 1998)
- Spon Press (acquired with Routledge in 1998)
- Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers
- Taylor Graham Journals (acquired in 2003)
- Adam Hilger (acquired in 2005 as part of IOP Publishing books division)
- About Us, Taylor & Francis, UK.
- "Taylor & Francis Online – FAQs". Taylor & Francis Group. 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Global Publishing Leaders 2013: Informa
- Dupuis, John. "Journal of Library Administration editorial board resigns over author rights". ScienceBlogs. ScienceBlogs LLC. Retrieved 2013-03-25.
- Royal Swets & Zeitlinger sells Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers
- TRILLIUM PARTNERS EXTENDS ITS EDUCATIONAL AND ACADEMIC PUBLISHING M&A SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Bellwether Publishing Journals Join Geography Market Leader Routledge/Taylor & Francis for 2013!
- http://www.ulib.niu.edu/publishers/taylorfrancis.htm The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition - Taylor & Francis]
- Quayle Munro advises shareholders of Cavendish Publishing on sale to Informa
- Taylor & Francis Group
- Mary H. Munroe (2004). "Taylor & Francis Timeline". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Archived from the original on October 2014 – via Northern Illinois University.
- Taylor and Francis announce acquisition of Frank Cass & Co
- Taylor & Francis Group plc acquires Gordon and Breach Publishing Group
- T&F buys Manson Publishing
- Taylor & Francis acquires Marcel Dekker
- News Archive - 2003 News
- Munroe, Mary H. (2007). "Taylor & Francis (Informa Group plc)". The Academic Publishing Industry: A Story of Merger and Acquisition. Northern Illinois University Libraries. Retrieved 2008-06-20.