||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008)|
|Associated acts||Jimmy Chamberlin, Von Freeman, David Sanborn|
Frank Catalano is an American jazz musician living in Chicago, Illinois.
Frank Catalano began playing the saxophone at age 7. His right middle finger was severed while working on a car engine when he was 16, but following reconstructive surgery, Catalano forced his hands to relearn technique, skill and artistry. He toured with Santana at 18, then signed with Delmark Records to record his first solo album, Cut it Out with trumpeter Ira Sullivan at 19. Catalano holds a degree in classical composition from DePaul University.
While recording with Ministry in 1999, Catalano was inspired by the band's use of sampling and engineered a unique sampling keyboard attachment for the saxophone. His device was patented on Dec. 11, 2001, coincidentally on the two-year anniversary of his mentor Charles Earland's death.
Catalano's performances both live and recorded are electric. His Delmark solo albums include You Talkin to Me?!, which features a tandem tenor session with Von Freeman, and Live at The Green Mill with Randy Brecker on trumpet. Over the past ten years he also has worked with Louie Bellson, Tito Puente, David Sanborn, Betty Carter, John Medeski and DJ Logic.
Catalano, a Chicago native, volunteers for the Off the Street Club, where he runs the after school jazz program. Frank was saxophone professor at College of Lake County from 2005 to 2012.
The 2006 release of Catalano's "Mighty Burner" thrust him into the national spotlight and brought critical and popular acclaim, as the album debuted at # 11 on the Billboard sales chart. 2008 saw Frank's continued success as the release of "Bang" debuted at #12 on the Billboard charts.
DOWNBEAT magazine has referred to Catalano as "full throttle front and center, a modal rocker that suggests John Coltrane energy in the 21st century."
Frank played with British funk band, the New Mastersounds on 6/7/2014 at the House of Blues.
- Cut It Out (Delmark, 1998)
- Pins 'n' Needles (Lakeshore Jazz, 1999)
- You Talkin' to Me?! with Von Freeman (Delmark, 2000)
- Live at the Green Mill with Randy Brecker (Delmark, 2001)
- Mighty Burner (Bright Records, 2006)
- Bang! (Savoy Jazz, 2008)
- Love Supreme Collective - EP (Ropeadope Records, 2014)
- "Busy teen fills life with music". Daily Herald. 1995-09-30. p. 10. "About two years after the 1994 accident that severed a finger on the teen's right hand, the 18-year-old Catalano entered DePaul University in Chicago this fall on a full-tuition music scholarship for his talent as a saxophone player."
- John Ephland, DOWNBEAT Magazine, April 2006