||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Mayor of Des Moines|
|Preceded by||Preston Daniels|
|Born||1948 (age 66–67)
Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.
|Alma mater||Iowa State University|
Thomas Michael Franklin "Frank" Cownie (born 1948) is the current mayor of Des Moines, Iowa in the United States. He owns and operates Cownie Furs, a store that has been in his family for generations.
Cownie is a Des Moines native. He grew up on the city's west side, attending Theodore Roosevelt High School and Iowa State University. He came from a political family; both of his parents served on the city's school board.
Prior to serving as mayor, he served for two years as an at-large member of the Des Moines City Council. He also served several terms on the Planning and Zoning Commission and was chairman of Downtown Des Moines, Inc.
While Iowa's city elections are non-partisan, Cownie is a Democrat. He narrowly finished 2nd in a six-way jungle primary in 2003, and later defeated Councilwoman Christine Hensley by a nine-point margin. He succeeded fellow Democrat Preston Daniels. In 2007 he was re-elected with nearly 80 percent of the vote, receiving only marginal competition from Socialist Worker candidate Diana Newberry.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2010)|
- 2003 Des Moines Mayoral Primary Election
- Christine Hensley 7,301 (36.5%)
- Frank Cownie 4,330 (21.7%)
- Mark McCormick 4,298 (21.5%)
- Gayle Collins 3,456 (17.29%)
- Peter M. Rose 388 (1.94%)
- Mary J. Martin 180 (0.9%)
- 2003 Des Moines Mayoral General Election
- Frank Cownie 16,581 (54.2%)
- Christine Hensley 13,848 (45.3%)
- 2007 Des Moines Mayoral General Election
- Frank Cownie 6,455 (79.0%)
- Diana Newberry 1,617 (19.8%)
- 2011 Des Moines Mayoral General Election
- Frank Cownie 4,363 (92.1%)
- Write-in 374 (7.9%)
- Cownie statement made before a US House of Representative's subcommittee
|This article about a mayor in Iowa is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|