Frank D. Allen
|Frank D. Allen|
|United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts|
|Preceded by||Owen A. Galvin|
|Succeeded by||Sherman Hoar|
|Born||August 16, 1850
|Died||January 23, 1910
|Resting place||Pine Grove Cemetery
|Spouse(s)||Lucy (Rhodes) Allen|
|Alma mater||Yale University
Boston University School of Law
Frank Dewey Allen (August 16, 1850 – January 23, 1910) was an American attorney and politician who served as a member of Massachusetts House of Representatives, the Massachusetts Governor's Council, and was the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts.
Allen was born on August 16, 1850 in Worcester, Massachusetts to Charles Francis Allen and Olive Ely (Dewey) Allen. He graduated from Yale University in 1873 and from the Boston University School of Law in 1875. He served as a clerk in the law office of Hillard, Hyde & Dickinson until 1878 when he was admitted to the Suffolk County bar.
From 1881 to 1882, Allen served in the Massachusetts House of Representatives, representing the 10th Essex District with Hartwell French and Henry Cabot Lodge. He served on the judiciary committee, the congressional redistricting committee, and the committee on banks and banking, as well as serving on the committee that removed of Judge Joseph M. Day from office.
As an attorney, Allen argued on behalf of the Plymouth Woolen Company of the constitutionality of a law allowing municipal officers to permit manufacturers "to ring bells and use whistles and gongs for the benefit of their workmen."
As counsel for the Lancaster Bank, Allen was able to recover securities stolen from the bank's vaults.
From 1890 to 1893, Allen was the United States Attorney for the District of Massachusetts.
From 1902 to 1905 he was a receiver at the Central National Bank of Boston. He was also the director of the Lynn Gas & Electric Co.
Allen died in 1910 and is buried in Pine Grove Cemetery in Lynn.
- Rand, John C. One of a thousand: a series of biographical sketches of one thousand representative men resident in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, A.D. 1888-'89. Boston: First National Pub. Co. pp. 13–14.
- "Allen, Frank Dewey (b. 1850)". PoliticalGraveyard.com. Lawrence Kestenbaum. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- Acts and resolves passed by the General Court. University Press of Cambridge. 1881. p. 739.
- Journal of the House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Boston: Eagle Graphics, Legislative Printers. 1888.
- "Frank Dewey Allen". Find A Grave. Find A Grave, Inc. Retrieved 14 September 2011.