November 6, 1962 |
New York City
|Occupation||Radio Host, Writer, Journalist & Comedian|
|Known for||Sirius XM Radio Host, Daily Show Correspondent|
|Spouse(s)||James (Jim) Colucci (m. 2011-Present)|
The New York-born DeCaro is the author of The Dead Celebrity Cookbook: A Resurrection of Recipes From More Than 145 Stars of Stage and Screen (HCI Books, 2011), its sequel, "The Dead Celebrity Cookbook Presents Christmas in Tinseltown: Celebrity Recipes and Hollywood Memories from Six Feet Under the Mistletoe" (HCI, 2012), Unmistakably Mackie: The Fashion and Fantasy of Bob Mackie (Universe, 1999), and A Boy Named Phyllis: A Suburban Memoir (Viking 1996).
He came into the public eye with his recurring commentary Out at the Movies on The Daily Show, doing movie reviews, with his characteristically flamboyant gay style, from 1996 to 2003. During those years, he co-wrote and hosted five Oscar preview specials for Comedy Central. He was a panelist on a short-lived remake of the classic TV game show I've Got a Secret, on GSN.
A journalist whose column on classic television appears in CBS's Watch! Magazine, DeCaro has written for the New York Times Arts & Leisure, Home and Styles sections. For several years, he wrote the funny-but-chic "Style Over Substance" column for that paper. His writing has appeared in myriad publications including The New York Times Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, Newsweek, Vogue and Martha Stewart Living.
Since 2004, he has been the host of a live daily radio show with producer/co-host Doria Biddle for SIRIUS XM OutQ 109. He also is a frequent guest on The Jason Ellis Show on Sirius Faction. His many TV appearances include NBC's Dateline, CNN's Showbiz Tonight and various programs for the Logo and Here! networks.
DeCaro has been a lifelong gay rights activist and splits his time between Manhattan and Little Falls, New Jersey, with his husband, James (Jim) Colucci, whom he married during the August 16, 2011, live broadcast of his Sirius radio show.
- Sharkey, Joe. "Their Son, the Writer, Finally Tells All", The New York Times, June 2, 1996. Accessed April 10, 2008. "At Passaic Valley High School, he was undoubtedly the only boy nicknamed Phyllis, and probably the only one with his own Cuisinart."
- "Naughty but Nice Night with Oscar - Comedy Central on Gay Superbowl". 1999-03-17. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "GSN Premieres New Original Series - I've got a Secret". 2006-03-28. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "Outfest 2012 - Gerald McCulloch on Bearcity 2 - The Proposal". 2012-07-18. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- "Behind the Mike at Radio Host Frank Decaro's Wedding". 2011-08-17. Retrieved 2014-08-12.
- Official website
- "A `Crime Story`, The Pompadours And Teased Hair Say It All: The `60s Time Slot Is Worth Remembering, 'October 29, 1986, by Frank DeCaro, Detroit Free Press
- Frank DeCaro at the Internet Movie Database
- Bear City 2 Trailer with cameo