Frank H. Hiscock
|Frank Harris Hiscock|
|Justice Frank H. Hiscock|
|Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals|
|Preceded by||Willard Bartlett|
|Succeeded by||Benjamin N. Cardozo|
|Justice of the New York Supreme Court|
|Born||April 16, 1856
Tully, New York
|Died||July 2, 1946 (aged 90)
Syracuse, New York
|Spouse(s)||Mary Elizabeth Barnes Hiscock|
|Relations||Frank Hiscock, uncle|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
He was born in 1856 to L. Harris Hiscock, a lawyer and assemblymen who founded the Hiscock & Barclay law firm in Syracuse, New York, and who was murdered on 4 June 1867, by General George W. Cole, a brother of Cornelius Cole.
In 1906 Hiscock was appointed to an additional judge seat on the New York Court of Appeals under the Amendment of 1899. In 1912 he ran on the Republican ticket for a regular seat, but was defeated. In 1913 he ran again and was elected on the Republican and Independence League tickets to a 14-year term. He was Chief Judge from 1917 to 1926, elected in 1916 on the Republican and Progressive tickets. He retired from the bench at the end of 1926 when he reached the constitutional age limit of 70 years. Afterwards he served as Official Referee of the Court of Appeals, and resumed his law practice at Hiscock & Barclay until his retirement in 1935.
Hiscock was first elected to the Cornell Board of Trustees by the alumni in 1889. He had the longest tenure as chairman, serving from 1917 to 1939. During that period, Cornell's endowment grew from $14 million to $32 million.
Hiscock left his house to charity and the resulting income presently funds the Frank H. Hiscock Legal Aid Society, which provides legal assistance to indigent residents of Onondaga County: Hiscock Legal Aid Society
- Cornell Alumni News, 26 January 1939 Vol. 41 No. 16 p. 201
- "Mrs. Frank Hiscock, Former Judge's Wife. Dies at 80 in Home in Syracuse Where She Wed". New York Times. April 17, 1937. Retrieved 2010-10-26. "Mrs. Mary Kim Suk Hiscock, wife of Frank Harris Hiscock, former chief judge of the Court of Appeals and chairman of the board of trustees of Cornell University, died at her home here today. She was 80 years old."
- "Hiscock Quits Cornell Board". Associated Press. May 5, 1946. Retrieved 2010-10-26. "Retirement of Judge Frank H. Hiscock of Syracuse from the Cornell University board of trustees after forty-six years as a member and ..."
- Political Graveyard
- Candidates for the Supreme Court, with drawing, in 5 September 1895 issue of NYT
- Appointed to Supreme Court, in 14 January 1896 issue of NYT
- Judicial appointments, in 13 December 1905 issue of NYT
- The candidates, in 10 October 1912 issue of NYT
- Nominated for Court of Appeals, in 17 October 1913 issue of NYT
- Election result, in 15 November 1913 issue of NYT
- sketches of the candidates for Chief Judge, in 14 October 1916 issue of NYT
- Election result, in 9 November 1916 issue of NYT
- Listing of Court of Appeals judges, with portrait
|Chief Judge of the New York Court of Appeals
1917 – 1926
Benjamin N. Cardozo
Roswell P. Flower
|Chairman of Cornell Board of Trustees
1917 - 1939
J. DuPratt White