|Birth name||Frank Iero|
October 31, 1981 |
Belleville, New Jersey, United States
|Genres||Alternative rock, post-hardcore|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, vocals|
|Associated acts||Pencey Prep, My Chemical Romance, Leathermouth, Reggie and the Full Effect, Death Spells|
|Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone Wilshire Phantomatic
Frank Iero (born October 31, 1981) is a musician who was the rhythm guitarist and backup vocalist of the alternative rock band My Chemical Romance as well as the vocalist of the post-hardcore band Leathermouth and electronic-hardcore act Death Spells. He has a solo project titled FrnkIero AndThe Cellabration with an album titled Stomachaches that was released on August 26, 2014. The first single off the album, called "Weighted", premiered on BBC Radio One on July 8, 2014.
He was born in Belleville, New Jersey and grew up in Kearny, New Jersey. As a child, he suffered numerous bouts of bronchitis and ear infections, which meant he spent a lot of his childhood in the hospital. Frank is also lactose intolerant and has other various food allergies. He went to Rutgers University on a scholarship, but dropped out to go on tour with My Chemical Romance.
Iero's parents split when he was young and he grew up living with his mother, who lent out her basement to her son's many band practices; his father and grandfather were musicians and both were big influences on Iero when he was young. His father urged him to play drums, but Iero later began playing the guitar.
Frank started playing in local bands on the New Jersey punk scene at age 11. Before joining My Chemical Romance he served as frontman for the punk band Pencey Prep. The band released an album, Heartbreak in Stereo, on the independent Eyeball Records before disbanding. Whilst playing with Pencey Prep, he became friends with Gerard Way and the other My Chemical Romance members, became a fan of their original demo and helped them get their first shows. After his band broke up, Frank played in several bands, including I Am A Graveyard, Hybrid, Sector 12, and American Nightmare before being offered the slot of rhythm guitar in My Chemical Romance. Iero is also the frontman of hardcore punk quintet Leathermouth, who released their debut album XO in January 2009, on Epitaph Records. He is involved in a tribute band to The Cure named The Love Cats, after the song of the same name, and played bass with Reggie And The Full Effect on their farewell tour.
On December 7, 2010, Iero parted ways with the record company Skeleton Crew that he and his wife co-founded years earlier, in order to concentrate on his family and his music with My Chemical Romance, stating that, although he would have loved to carry on, he could not juggle his career with the band, the new additions to his family (newborn daughters), and co-running a business at the same time.
His first solo song 'This Song Is A Curse' was released as a bonus track on the official soundtrack to the Tim Burton film, Frankenweenie. He later posted an anti-Xmas track he recorded as a joke in 15 minutes, and followed that up with a cover of the song 'Be My Baby', originally made famous by The Ronettes.
In early 2013, Iero and James Dewees announced that they were working on a new project, an electronic-hardcore band called Death Spells. They also announced a tour supporting Mindless Self Indulgence and a performance at the Skate and Surf Festival in New Jersey. They're also working on a full length album and have posted demos on their website.
He later performed new solo songs live and posted others to his Soundcloud, then implied he had a full album worth of songs wrote with more content being created on a continuous basis. This was confirmed to be for a solo album.
On November 28, 2013, he announced via his official website and his Twitter account that a two-track release entitled For Jamia... would be released digitally and via limited vinyl on December 10.
After his former band broke up, Frank began writing songs in his home studio. Throughout the rest of 2013 he started playing a couple of songs live at events, posted a demo of "joyriding" and recorded a full length album. Frank plays everything on the album except for drums which were handled by former My Chemical Romance drummer Jarrod Alexander. He also assembled a touring band composed of Evan Nestor, Rob Hughes and Matt Olsson. In June 2014 he announced his signing to Staples Records and his debut album called Stomachaches due out August 25. This was followed up with tour dates (a support slot on the Taking Back Sunday and The Used co-headline US fall tour) and a debut single called "Weighted". On August 4, 2014. he released the music video for this song.
In the earlier days of My Chemical Romance, Iero mainly used Gibson SG's & Epiphone Les Paul guitars (most notably his white Les Paul nicknamed 'Pansy' which proved popular amongst his fans but has since been broken while onstage) and Marshall amps. He has since switched to using Gibson Les Pauls (with the Neck Pick-up removed) and occasionally uses a Gibson SG. He also used a Fender Stratocaster in the Desolation Row video. He has recently collaborated with Epiphone to design the Wilshire Phant-O-Matic guitar, which he used onstage for the My Chemical Romance 'World Contamination' Tour, the Honda Civic Tour and for the Reading and Leeds festivals. He also uses the Orange Rockerverb MKII 100 head and Orange 160 Watt Guitar 4x10 Vintage Cabinet.
Personal life and political views
Iero has many tattoos including logos for the bands Black Flag and The Misfits, symbols of his love for his home state, New Jersey, a matching 'revenge' tattoo with James Dewees and others by acclaimed tattoo artist Kat Von D: a Frankenstein's monster and portraits of his grandmothers and grandfather, all of which were featured in Von D's book High Voltage Tattoo and the latter of which was done on an episode of her reality show LA Ink in which Iero was featured. In the aforementioned book, Von D states that she was present at Iero's wedding indicating that the two have remained close friends.
Iero has expressed his pro-gay rights stance on numerous occasions, including wearing a pro-gay marriage t-shirt on tour and his home-custom red 'Homophobia is gay' t-shirt which has become a fan favourite. He also revealed to Rock Sound magazine that he voted for Barack Obama in the 2008 presidential election.
He has been a vegetarian since childhood after discovering the mistreatment animals endure in slaughterhouses and rearing farms and in 2008 PETA dubbed Iero one of the World's Sexiest Vegetarians, alongside Alyssa Milano.
On September 7, 2010, Iero announced on the My Chemical Romance official website that he and his wife Jamia had become parents of twin girls named Cherry and Lily. On April 6, 2012, he announced via his official Twitter account that his wife had given birth to their son, Miles.
- Heartbreak in Stereo (Eyeball Records) - November 26, 2001
My Chemical Romance
|Year||Album details||Chart peaks||Certifications
|2002||I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love||—||—||—||—||—||250||—||—||—||129||—||UK: Gold|
|2004||Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge||38||73||—||57||36||73||—||30||—||34||28|
|2006||The Black Parade
|2010||Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart|
- XO (Epitaph Records) - January 27, 2009
With Gerard Way, Mikey Way, Ray Toro and James Dewees
- Hell Hath No Fury - 2012
|2003||"Black Duct Tape"||The Banner||Your Murder Mixtape||backing vocals|
|2012||"This Song Is a Curse"||Frank Iero||Frankenweenie Unleashed||vocals / guitar|
|2012||"Xmas Sux"||Frank Iero||vocals / instruments|
|2013||Be My Baby (cover)||Frank Iero||For Jamia...||vocals / instruments. Originally osted to his Soundcloud.|
|2013||Walk The Line (cover)||Frank Iero||For Jamia...||vocals / instruments.|
|2014||"Best Friends Forever (But Not Now)"||Frank Iero||B.F.F.||vocals / guitar. Features his kids.|
- For Jamia... - December 10, 2013 (repressed for Record Store Day on April 19, 2014 by Photo Finish Records)
- "Weighted" (single) - July 8, 2014
- Stomachaches (album) - August 26, 2014 by Staples Records.
- La Gorce, Tammy. "Bellowing Like Iron Maiden, but Very, Very Sensitive", The New York Times, November 7, 2004. Accessed November 2, 2007. "Which is more what Mr. Way -- along with his bassist and brother, Mikey; Ray Toro, a guitarist from Belleville; Frank Iero, a guitarist from Kearny; and the Chicago-area drummer Bob Bryer -- is going for..."
- "Frank Iero". ImNotOkay.net. October 31, 1981. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- "7th Annual Judges". Independent Music Awards. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "The Leading Skeleton Crew Online Site on the Net". SkeletonCrewOnline.com. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- [dead link]
- "Twitter / FrankIero: 'for jamia...' by frnkiero". Twitter.com. 2013-11-27. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
- Whitt, Cassie (4 Aug 2014). "Frnkiero Andthe Cellabration release "Weighted" video". Alt Press.
- "Epiphone Wilshire Phantomatic". Epiphone.com. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- "Introducing the Epiphone Wilshire Phant-o-matic". Epiphone.com. September 26, 2011. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "The 2008 World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are… // Out There // peta2". Peta2.com. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- Frank Iero (September 7, 2010). "To Kill A Demon Shark". Retrieved September 8, 2010.
- "Australian Album Charts Search for My Chemical Romance". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "Austrian Album Charts Search for My Chemical Romance" (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "My Chemical Romance - Charts & Awards - Billboard Albums". Allmusic. Macrovision. Retrieved September 5, 2010.
- "Chartverfolgung: My Chemical Romance, Longplay" (in German). PhonoNet. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "Irish Charts Search for My Chemical Romance". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- マイ・ケミカル・ロマンス (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "Mexican Album Charts Search for My Chemical Romance". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "New Zealand Album Charts Search for My Chemical Romance". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "Swedish Album Charts Search for My Chemical Romance". Hung Medien. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- Zywietz, Tobias. "Chart Log UK: M – My Vitriol". Zobbel. Retrieved September 5, 2010.
- "BPI Certified Awards Search for "My Chemical Romance"". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "Discos de Oro y Platino: Buscar de Nombre del Intérprete "My Chemical Romance"" (in Spanish). Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers. Retrieved September 20, 2010.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2006 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- "CRIA Gold & Platinum Certification Database Search for "My Chemical Romance"". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved August 9, 2008.
- Maira, Manuel (2007). "My Chemical Romance pone a Chile en su agenda". La Tercera (Santiago de Chile).
De las dos mil copias vendidas de su álbum debut, [I Brought You My Bullets, You Brought Me Your Love] (2002) pasaron al status de oro -7.500 discos- con sus dos siguientes entregas: Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge (2004)...
- "Certificaciones encontradas buscar por "My Chemical Romance"" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- "Top 40 Albums". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved December 11, 2010.
- "RIAA Gold & Platinum Certification Database Search for "My Chemical Romance"". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved May 1, 2012.
- "ARIA Charts - Accreditations - 2007 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved September 6, 2010.
- "My Chemical Romance desata locura en Chile". El Mercurio. Retrieved February 5, 2011.
- "2006 Certified Awards: Platinum". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved September 20, 2010.
- 『ミリオンシングル／アルバム』認定作品一覧 (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- "2010 Certified Awards: Gold". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved March 24, 2012.