Frank R. Pfetsch
Frank Pfetsch (born 1936) is Professor of International Politics Emeritus at the Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences of the University of Heidelberg.
Pfetsch studied Political Science and Economics at German and foreign universities. He received his Ph.D. in political science and his postdoctoral degree (Habilitation) at the University of Heidelberg.
After graduating with a Ph.D., Pfetsch worked in German and foreign research institutes and in the German Ministry of Science and Research. He acted as a consultant of UNESCO on science policy issues in countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. He has been Professor of Political Science with Special Reference to International Politics at the University of Heidelberg since 1976. He held visiting professorships at the University of Pittsburgh, Kyung Hee University in Seoul and at Leipzig University. In 1995 he held the Chaire Elie Halevy and Chaire Alfred Grosser at the Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Paris. Since 1999 he has held the Jean-Monnet Chair at the University of Heidelberg.
Awards and Offices
Member of the Board of the Research Committee on the Sociology of Science, "International Sociological Association" (1974-1980). Scientific Curator of the Heidelberg Institute of International Conflict Research (HIIK). Member of the Executive Committee of the "European Consortium for Political Research" (1997-2003). Member of the Steering Committee of the International Studies in Europe of the European Consortium for Political Research (1990-2000). Member of the Advisory Board des "Sino-European Institutes" in Shanghai, China. Advisory Board Member of the "Centre for Study of Democracy" of the University of Westminster. Mitglied der "Cycladic Academy for Europe", Tinos/Greece.
Books/Edited Volumes (Selection)
- Negotiating Political Conflicts. London: Palgrave, 2007.
- Verhandlung in Konflikten. Grundlagen-Theorie-Praxis. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften, 2006.
- Die Europäische Union (3rd ed.). München: UTB, 2005.
- Theoretiker der Politik. Von Platon bis Habermas. München: Fink/UTB, 2003.
- A Uniao Européia. Historia, instituiçoes, processos. Brasilia: Universidade de Brasilia, 2002.
- La politique internationale. Brussels: Bruylant (new edition of the German version)
- with Christoph Rohloff. National and International Conflicts. New Theoretical and Empirical Approaches. London et al.: Routledge, 2000.
- Old Wine in New Bottles: Democratic peace as empowerment of states in conflict resolution. In: European Journal of Political Research, Vol.45, No.5, pp. 811–850.
- Conflict Resolution by Democracies and Dictatorships: Are Democracies Better in Resolving Conflicts? In: Robert Trappl (Ed.): Programming for Peace. Computer-Aided Methods for International Conflict Resolution and Prevention. Dordrecht: Springer, pp. 11–47.
- Conflicts in and between Mediterranean Countries. In: Hans Günter Brauch et al. (Eds.): Security and Environment in the Mediterranean - Conceptualising Security and Environmental Conflicts. Berlin et al.: Springer, pp. 145–156.
- The Politics of Culture and Identity in Europe. In: Furio Cerutti and Benno Rudolph (eds.): A Soul for Europe. Vol. 2. An essay Collection. Leuven: Peeters, 113-132.
- with Alice Landau. Symmetry and Asymmetry in International Negotiations. In: International Negotiation. A Journal of Theory and Practice. Vol.1, No.1 2000.
- with Christoph Rohloff. Kosimo : A Databank on Political Conflict. In: Journal of Peace Research, Vol. 37, no.3, 2000, pp. 379–389.
- Institutions Matter: Negotiating the European Union. In: Peter Berton, Hiroshi Kimura, and I. William Zartman (eds.): International Negotiation: Actors, Structure/Process, Values. N.Y.: St. Martin's Press, pp. 292–339.
- Negotiating the European Union: A Negotiation-Network Approach. In: International Negotiation. A Journal of Theory and Practice. Vol.3, No.3, pp. 293–317.
- The Measurement of a Country's Scientific and Technological Potential. In: Scientometrics 19, pp. 495–504.
Pfetsch's Heidelberg bio page