Frank Schmalleger is the director of the Justice Research Association. In 1974, he received a Ph.D. in sociology (with a special emphasis in criminology) from Ohio State University. He is a professor emeritus at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke. He has also been affiliated with Webster University and was part of the online faculty of Connected Education.
Schmalleger is a member of the Advisory Board of APB News Online. and is founder and co-director of the Criminal Justice Distance Learning Consortium. He is also the founding editor of The Justice Professional, and serves as editor for Criminal Justice in the Twenty-first Century, as well as Imprint Advisor for the Criminal Justice Reference Series.
- "In order to communicate knowledge we must first catch, then hold, a person’s interest—be it student, colleague, or policymaker. Our writing, our speaking, our teaching, and our research must be relevant to the problems facing people today, and they must—in some way—help solve those problems."
- "It is my hope that the technological and publishing revolutions will combine with growing social awareness to facilitate needed changes in our system; and will supplant self-serving system-perpetuated injustices with new standards of equity, compassion, understanding, fairness, and justice for all."
- 1976 - 1994—taught criminal justice at Pembroke State University (since 1996 the University of North Carolina at Pembroke)
- 1978 - 1994—served as the chair of the Department of Sociology, Social Work, and Criminal Justice
Writings by Frank Schmalleger
- Juvenile Delinquency (2007)
- Criminal Justice Today: An Introductory Text for the 21st Century (2006)
- Criminal Justice: A Brief Introduction (2002)
- Criminology Today (2002)
- Canadian Criminology Today (with Volk), 2001
- Canadian Criminal Justice Today (with MacAlister, McKenna, and Winterdyk, 2001);
- Criminal Justice Today (2001)
- Corrections in the Twenty-First Century (2001)
- Criminal Law Today (1999)
- Crime and the Justice System in America: An Encyclopedia (1997)
- Trial of the Century: People of the State of California vs. Orenthal James Simpson (1996)
- Career Paths: A Guide to Jobs in Federal Law Enforcement (1994)
- Computers in Criminal Justice (1991)
- Criminal Justice Ethics (1991)
- Finding Criminal Justice in the Library (1991)
- Ethics in Criminal Justice (1990)
- A History of Corrections (1983)
- The Social Basis of Criminal Justice (1981)